PDA

View Full Version : Cotuit Flats Report - 6/7/03

PAX
06-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Fished the flats from the kayak today from 2:30 to 8:00pm. Picked-up a few blues but action was very slow overall. Paddled for miles back and forth parallel to the beach. Even went to Poppy but everywhere was very slow. Some blues were still around but nothing compared to what Ray experienced on Thursday. Fish were on the surface or just sub-surface. I could see their fins and tails. The nice part was to cast a popper fly and try to get their attention. Not all of them were in the mood. Most of the guys I met today got skunked. By the dozen of dead blues on the beach you could tell that Cotuit was hot a few days ago. Not today. Overall a good day thanks to the sight fishing experience and great fight blues gave me on the fly rod.:) When I left wind had picked up and it was pouring. Got wet to the bone when putting the yak on the car.

Thanks to all of those who helped me prepare this outing.

Patrick

Ray
06-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Patrick,

One thing that helps when fishing for blues is to use a surface popper on a spinning rod to find the fish. Then switch to the fly rod.

Another approach is to wait until the fish show themselves on the surface near your yak.

Ray

PAX
06-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Hi Ray,

I actually used a spinner and surface popper to locate the blues. Got the biggest fish on the popper. Fish really seemed to be in fewer numbers and very "sleepy". Folks wading and casting poppers and various plugs got skunked for the most part.

Patrick