PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Gooseberry.

ttby4444
06-09-2003, 10:58 AM
I've been fishing gooseberry island since I was a little kid. I love that place minus the bugs. I know the area but I'm unclear as to the rules. I am planning an all nighter soon at gooseberry island with some buddies. My questions are:

Are we allowed to be there after the gates close?
We can park outside the gate but if we leave our cars there at Gooseberry is that allowed?
Can we light fires at gooseberry at night?
Who do I have to speak to in order to allow something like that?

Any help would be appreciated. Bob, I know you know that area well so if you can help out with Sugg I'd appreciate it.

Ray
06-09-2003, 02:21 PM
I went to school down that way and when we were on the beach after sunset the police would throw us out.

Fires were not allowed and parking tickets flowed like the dropping tide. Call the Westport or Dartmouth police for details.

Quicksilver
06-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I am almost positive that the people who run the campground near Horseneck Beach are also involved with Gooseberry, locking gates and such. I don't have any phone numbers for you but I would give that a shot.

Noketchum
06-09-2003, 04:19 PM
The camp ground is within walking distance to gooseberry.
I'd play it safe and get a camp site. That way you could park, have a fire, and hang out all night and not have to worry.

ttby4444
06-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah I am familiar with the camp ground but that's too far for me to cast.....;-)

I always remember seeing burnt up wood while walking along the shore line at gooseberry that's why I asked. No biggie. I'll call the Westport Town hall for some more information.

Quicksilver
06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
I guess a lot depends on what type of fire you want too. I don't know what the rules are down there, but I don't see why there would be a problem with a small propane cylinder to heat some food. A lot of the rules are probably selectively enforced. How would anyone see you anyway?

SURF FISHING
06-10-2003, 09:34 PM
I fished gooseberry for yeares neve had a problem park your car out side the gate lock it . The police are the ones that lock the gate at 9pm you can stay all night long i always park next to shandys never had anything go wrong we always had a fire going no one ever said anything just put out the fire when you leave and clean up thats one of the most inportant
things you can do GOOD FISHING