PDA

View Full Version : S.E Cape Flats

SPCantwell
07-01-2003, 07:17 AM
I fished the Flats all day and can sum up my day in
one word, "BLUEFISH" hundreds of tiny blues
shredded the flats on the whole incoming tide.

After the turn, the blues seemed to be hitting short, there
were very few fish working the skinny water. a ton of
boat traffic and swimmers probably had alot to do with it.

I did have a couple curious seals come over and rub elbows
with me. all in all, not a bad day, sure as hell beat working!

flyslinger
07-01-2003, 09:06 PM
good to hear you got out to fish on a week day!! one thing i've learned, bluefish are far better than no fish. if they didn't have teeth, they'd be even better! they fight 10 times better than any striper pound for pound, but taste like s*#t!

dan

Bob Parsons
07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
I find bluefish to be very tasty. You just have to be a bit more careful about preparation.
When I plan on eating a bluefish, I have cool storage on the boat. The fish is bled and stored. I tried the blackening season tonight on a filet and it was awesome. Normally I take the filet and BBQ it with mayonaise on it.

SPCantwell
07-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Flyslinger, Your right about blues, It was exciting to be standing in the middle of the blitzing fish. I brought a bunch of old ratty sand eel patterns with me just for such and occasion. its too bad they weren't 10lb+ blues busting.

chcannon
07-02-2003, 12:11 PM
I'm with Bob on this one - If you have a smoker (or can rig one up), I've always loved smoked blue fish.

Conveyor Man
07-02-2003, 12:17 PM
I like fresh blue fish too. Cut out the back fat, the belly fat and the lateral line and you get rid of a lot of the oily taste.