PDA

View Full Version : Calcutta 700 vs. Tica Gemini

capemike88
07-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Which reel would you suggest, the Tica, or the Calcutta. They bothe have the exact same line capacity's, which are 310yrds of 20lb mono. I am planning on spooling up either reel with a 30lb braid, this reel would be filling duties for many applications, which include shark fishing for brownies and blues if I am lucky, as well as bottom fishing (I now work on a fishing boat that goes out of Plum Island, and I need a bottom rod) I also will be using this reel for fishing live herring for stripers and blues, and maybe chunking the bottom in the mouth of the Merrimac. Almost forgot going after the ever elusive schoolie tuna. I figure I will be able to wet-spool up with around 500yrds of a 30-35lb braid. Any comments would be welcomed. There are also a few other reels still under consideration.
Thanks advance

mike

Albiemanmike
07-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Cacutta 700 no contest!!!!! Period! If you want a reel that will break when fighting one of those Brownies than buy the Tica. I have a friend who owns a tackle shop in CT. and he got rid of the Tica line because they were all coming back broken, I mean the frames were breaking on them, don't know if they fixed that problem yet or not but you get what you pay for. I have a 700 and it has been a flawless workhorse of a reel, it sees alot of action chunking and drifting and I never seem to have the time to clean it and it has never given me an ounce of trouble. It is a bit pricey but well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo

capemike88
07-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Thank's for your opinion, you may have just sealed the decision, but keep em' comming! I was thinking about putting it on a St. Croix casting rod, not one of there surf models. I forget the exact one, jj knows which model I'm refering to. I was thinking about the 7' instead of the 7 1/2' model, it has a cork handle, X-fast action, I believe the rod I am speaking of is rated for 17-40lb line, maybe 15-40lb line. Any other comments welcomed.

mike

capemike88
07-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Albieman, what type of line do you have on the Calcutta, how much can you fit on the spool, and what do you use your 700 for? Recomend no level-wind?

mike

capemike88
07-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Anyone else?

TonyO
07-09-2003, 05:01 PM
I fish a 700, Suits me for drifting eels, herring, jigs, plugs,...etc.. Very, Very Rugged and well machined reel. Borrow one from someone for a few days and it will only be a few more untill you buy your own.I load up to 230yds of 30lb mono(I believe)

anglin4bass
07-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey whassbi Nando :cool: It wasabout time we broke our jynix well Im off for a week & do some :-% Se yeah soon.

Calcutta 700 all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
It works awesome for my applications, I use it for flippin eels,jiggin metals & also plugging. the ajustable casting weights that sit on the main shaft i just pulled-em out & Wow you can really chuck stuff out there--123-3
it's four season's old & still proforms like it just came out of the box.If I had the $$ I'd but the 700 S & give the fingahs a work out.

capemike88
07-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Thank's for all of the info guys, I think I may be going for the Calcutta 700S.

mike