PDA

View Full Version : pike handling and revival question

JSeamans
07-14-2003, 09:30 AM
Last night I caught my biggest pike (31") off my parent's dock on Spofford Lake, NH, on a livelined creek chub.

I understand that pike build up gas as they fight. This fish thrashed wildy on the beach then I got it back in the water but it was pretty bouyant. I pulled it back and tried to "blurp" it by giving it a gentle squeeze from tail to head but no bubbles came up (this worked with a small one once). It gave a good kick and took off but as the sun set it was finning slowly on the surface two houses away. I figure it's probably a goner.

Might it have revived? And what's the best way to handle and release pike? The hook came right out once it held still long enough for me to get the pliers on its lip.

basenjib123
07-15-2003, 12:45 AM
I think the "gas" thing is bogus info. If you intend to release any fish you should handle it as little as possible. Attempting to purge gas from a fish is probably doing alot of harm.

Bugmaster
07-18-2003, 06:27 PM
You should not have a problem with gas build up unless you are fishing very deep. If it does happen, there is a technique called fizzing where you take a hollow needle and puncture the swim bladder to release the gas. Supposidly, if done right, the fish will live. Info at www.blacklakeny.com/deflate.html
You should never beach a fish. Internal damage could occur if they do not have H20 to cushion their thrashing. A boga grip or a landing hand might help to retrive the hook, espically with their sharp teeth. Keep the fish in the water the whole time if possible, and land and release it quickly. Barbless hooks will make releases easier also.

dharrison87
07-21-2003, 05:05 PM
I'm assuming that a fish with the capability to generate gas like that has a natural way of releasing it. It is probably better to just revive it and let it off without attempting to remove this gas.

~DH