PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Kreh's TiCR Temple Fork Rod's

striperboyz
08-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Has anyone had a chance to cast Lefty's new Temple Fork Outfitters TiCR rod yet? I'm interested in buying a 9 or 10wt for stripers, blues, hard tales, and some big fresh and salt water nasties in South Africa this fall. I own the older salterwater series 9wt and love it, and was thinking the TiCR would be only better.

Thanks,

Striperboyz

masssalt
08-11-2003, 05:07 AM
I haven't cast the 9, but I think the 10 is fantastic.

You need to try them out to see if they suit your style, they are pretty fast.

Old Saltyfly
08-11-2003, 05:54 PM
I tried Lefty Kreh signature Temple Fork at the Catch and Release Striper Derby in June. I am an old salty fly rodder and in plain english, the best rod I ever cast. The price is reasonable and affordable. I did catch hell in casting all the fly line and backing. The backing was too light and knots made taking them apart a pain. The rep said he wasn't going to have backing on the demo reels. The rod I tried was a ten weight. I own four Temple Forks and have retired the other rods.

Enough said your assignment is to try it and forget about the name if you are a yuppie.

Animal Chris
08-12-2003, 08:23 AM
I haven't tried TFO's new line, but I have two 8 wts and a 10 wt in the Saltwater Series and love them. I have known the President of TFO for over 35 years (I'm 47) and Rick is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. I haven't had a problem with any of my rods, but I know a couple of people that did and got them warranteed, no questions and no problems. I know Rick has gone to great lengths to keep improving his products and I know they will be around for a long time to come. Tight Loops, AC

twick
08-12-2003, 09:32 AM
They sound like great rods and I might be in the market for a new one...where can one purchase temple fork rods in the Boston area or online?

Animal Chris
08-12-2003, 09:38 AM
they have dealers listed by area.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

AC

Johnny P.
08-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Hey Twick,

You can get the Lefty Kreh TFO's at the Bear's Den in Taunton. Go to www.bearsden.com for contact info. and address. Ask for Scott and tell 'em John Prior recommended their services. I have absolutely no affiliation w/ this store, besides being a customer...They were just extremely helpful and easy to deal with! Just ordered an 8wt through them.

Great fly fishing shop, well stocked, knowledgable staff and they don't treat you like your to be in their store like they do at Red Top.

Just one man's opinion.

J

striblue
08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Any of you that are on the Cape should swing by and speak with Harry koons at Nauset Angler ...Harry has them all ,including the 12 wt. I have an order for a 14 wt...I did not check the 14 wt out but the 12 wt is lighter than most 10 wts. Lefty has left Sage and is now with Temple fork... I have to thank Temple Forf since the top line companies are seeing the writing on the wall and are now creating low price good quality rods... look at the Winston Ibis as an example... the high priced rods ,which I have spent money on, will soon be collectors items as the years move forward.

striperboyz
08-13-2003, 11:08 PM
ok, I've searched high and low, most of the new TiCR's are out of stock in the near fly shops and even online, seems the secrets out about the TFO's, but I finally found one and ordered it so I could test it out, I'm sure it will work out, if not thats what return policies are for.

I love my old 9wt TFO saltwater series, and I'm replacing it with the 9wt TFO TiCR because I have too much invested in 9wt lines and spools to get a 8wt/10wt so I compromise with the 9wt (I'm a poor college student who works two jobs so I can fish and buy books :D)

Is anyone interested in buying it?
They go for $149 new, and it's in great condition, only been fished since this June. Great rod if you want to add a 9wt to your collection with out breaking the bank.

-Josh

msiler
08-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Josh - check yer pm's

Jim Miller
08-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Josh
I bought one of the first 14 wts from Temple Forks. Nice casting rod and well built.....I have to christen it on a Tuna.....soon i hope!

I do not think you can go wrong for the price and warranty. I've had Sage and Orvis rods and I feel the TICR series matches up nicely!

Hey John: e-mail me if you need any info on that 14 wt. Throws 600 sinker 80 feet w/o effort!

Good luck!:D :D :D

striperboyz
08-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by msiler
Josh - check yer pm's

Matt-
Just dropped you a PM, let me know what you think.

My TiCr was backordered for a bit, but will be here Monday, just in time for a week long fishing trip:p ...will report on the gear and fishing....Yippy, new toy!:D

Josh

THE GAME
08-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Ya'll are getting me excited.LOL I've been wanting a 10wt 2 pc for surf fishing for a while.I guess I better go ahead and get it .I just love it when a company puts out great eguipment for a very reasonable price.When i go in my local fly shop and see those G-XXXXXX rods for 4 and 5 hundred bucks I just can't figure it out.

striblue
08-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Hey jim...next time you are in chatham let me know... I can help you with that rod...... I have Commercial gps corrordinates. We chum.... drop a spreader rig and let our flys coast at 3 knots...along side of the spreaders.... I will be around this september.

Jim Miller
08-26-2003, 07:20 PM
John
I'm trying to find some time to make a trip to Chatham. Gotta lose my cherry w/ the new flyrod for those tunnies. My boat is running great and I could launch out of Stage Harbor. I'll keep in touch and let you know if I can get out there. Should be some good bass & blues, albies & bones, also! (as a fall back position). God, I dislike this "work" concept.....it just get's in the way of fishin!
cheers :-% :-% --125-3

formula1
08-20-2004, 09:39 PM
I tried the 12 wt. TiCr and was so impressed it became my primary tarpon rod this spring and relegated my superb, high end $700 12 wt to being my backup rod...and it didn't disappoint me...able to cast 120 ft and the muscle to take the fight to tarpon up to 135 lb.

BTW Cabela's has them in stock if you can't find them...my local Cabela's has the full range in stock.