PDA

View Full Version : Montauk

jeff Palmer
09-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Can anybody give me albie/bass status at MontauK?

joshr
09-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey there Jeff...Josh Reibel here...the guy you see all the time fishing out of the EdgeWater 247 and earlier in the year in the white Hewes flats skiff.

I'm in the City this weekend, but just got off the phone with Ted Shaine who said it's bleak...blues and nothing else. The Point and the south side are totally inaccessible b/c of the heave from the hurricane, and the water is stained all the way back to the bay. Still a lot of peanuts around and some blues on 'em, but nothing else. Let's hope things shape up over the next weeke or so.

See ya out there!

--Josh

JGH
09-12-2003, 07:21 AM
Any change to this status -- hopefully for the better? I've got a Sept. 22 trip planned (by boat), and am hoping to hit at least a few hardtails. :confused:

fmw
09-12-2003, 08:38 AM
On Wednesday after work, I stumbled into a party going on at Urban Angler and spoke with several East End guides who were there and as of that day, albies apparently still hadn't really shown. Apparently there seems to be bass on the south side when fishable (but not on top), the usual blues, plenty of peanut bunker, mixed reports on whether bay anchovies have shown, some optimism that everything has been late this year and it will all get going soon.
9/22 is a long way away -- between now and then we're going to have what is basically a nor'easter and maybe the effects of Isabel -- so who knows.
Is anyone beginning to think these storms are reminiscent of 1999???

joshr
09-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Frank--

yeah, everything I've heard is that there have not been any significant albie sightings. Some folks like the "everything's late this year" theory; some think it's day after day of blustery E and NE wind with no stable highs to settle things down. Who knows? But I don;t think this bears much resemblance to '99. That year it got going nicely around now, but third week of the month there was a tremendous 'cane right up against us...not like these residual swells we're getting from 'canes a ways off....we get that every year here and there. Anyway, I've never seen this happen--albies just not showing up til mid-Sept.

Also, Frank, next time you're going over to Urban, give me a shout. I work less than a block away...can see the shop from my office window. I'll meet you over there.

--Josh

Tuna
09-12-2003, 09:46 AM
It will only be like 99 if the bait is blown away (I don't think that has happened yet). Hopefully Isabel won't do that end of next week (next time I think I will be on the water).

New Montauk albie arrival prediction - they will show when Dan Duff gets his Jones Brothers.

I think it a bit unfair of the albies to wait for Dan's new boat to be available - we all want to catch them too, you know. But that's how I figure it now.

So Dan, please, don't let the delivery slip, I want some albies end of next week!.

fmw
09-12-2003, 10:43 AM
That is the second time I have fortuitously walked into the store just as they were uncorking liquor (thanks for your hospitality again Jon and Catherine!) and ended up having a really good time. I met a few people who said to me "I've read your posts," confirming that there are alot of lurkers out there. I usually only get there on the Wednesday nights when they are open a little later.

The fact that the weekly report talks about alot of albies on the Jersey Shore and New York Bight makes me feel a little better. Weather permitting, I will try to get out a little on Sunday afternoon.

I kind of buy into the "everything is late" theory and was encouraged by the weekly report of abundant albies around Jersey Shore and NY Bight. Looking at the NOAA buoy south of Montauk, its still showing temps of 68-69 each day, which I don't believe is unusually cold.

What is definitely different from '99 was that '99 was a grueling, hot and dry summer. This year, of course, totally different.

I do wish these storms would come to an end. Knock on wood that Isabel will not have much impact and that we will be storm free for a few weeks.

joshr
09-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Frank--

I won't be out Sunday, but will be out there Monday taking a friend fishing. So, if you fish Sunday, give me a shout and let me know what you find. My cell is 917.968.8565.

Sunday looks to be fairly calm SE, so you should have pretty good conditions. Monday is also a SE forecast, but little more blustery. We'll see.

--JHR

fmw
09-12-2003, 11:09 AM
I think the only issues Sunday are a pretty good chance of precip. and big swells around the point. I guess it will be Shagwong and points north and west. I'll give you a shout.

AndyF
09-12-2003, 11:15 AM
I'll be at a wedding at Gurney's on Sunday and will probably spend much of it gazing out at the water--if I see anything jumping I'll let you know!

brushfly
09-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Fished Montauk yesterday, and had to deal with major NE/E wind. Much more than NOAA had predicted. We turned around in the washing machine we were caught in around the point. Heading back west, 1.5miles north of False Bar/Jones good sized blues working the entire water column. Not a major blitz by any means but we hooked up fish to 7lbs. I got one on a chartruese clouser. My buddies jigging the bottom fared much better. Lots of bait on the North Side. Some Sea Bass we caught fishing for Fluke spit up lots of butterfish, which we also saw swim by the South Side off the Radar Tower. While uderway to get to the South Side, when the wind died down a bit, I thought I saw the two black "Steigers" working what looked to me like a small school of Albies popping up here and there. Just north of the Snack Bar. Small school..not sure how the boys did? Didn't want to move in on them...Save that till the ugliness starts a bit later in the fall. South Side had big rollers so we couldn't get too close to shore. Didn't see any surface action but that side is still sooo beautiful.