View Full Version : CCBay 9/10

09-11-2003, 06:13 AM
After the 6 footers on the bay Tuesday I was skeptical about the forecast but decided to go anyway, hoping that the slop would flatten out after a calm night. The wind was predicted to turn SW 5-10kts by mid-day. We cleared the Gurnet at 9:00 and headed out into a light NE wind and light chop. Found a few pods near the fishing ledges but never got a quality cast. There were 10 or so boats milling around the same spot so it was kind of crowded. Looked around the SW corner and then the BE. Aside from a few whales and a hundred basking sharks (those things are huge) things were pretty quiet. Decided to go back to the ledges where we first saw action. By now the bay was flat calm. Water temps were in the 70 degree range. Found a pod right a way but again, they were up and down so quickly it was hard to get off a good cast. A friend radioed us that they were into a good school about two miles SE of Ptown Harbor. We scooted over to check things out. This time the tuna were staying on top for 30 seconds instead of 10. We managed some good casts but never hooked up. The bait that the tunas were chasing was so small we were having a hard time matching it. 1 1/4 inch, thin (not sure what they were) At 5:30 we hedad for home. We were a little disapointed but all in all it was still a good day on the water.

09-11-2003, 08:28 AM
Striper, still a positive sign that they are being located more frequently. I ran into the same issues this past weekend. Hopefully this weekend....

Brad G.
09-11-2003, 08:28 AM

Good effort, sorry they didn't cooperate for you. Any idea what the weather and seas are supposed to be like in CC Bay friday or this weekend? I got into these fish last year up in our parts (ME/NH/MA North Shore) but seems like they are liking the south this year. So south we must travel for them.



09-11-2003, 08:29 PM

The wind is suposed to be 10-15 East until Monday. Although East isn't as bad as Northeast, it will get sloppy out there. It's hard enough spotting them when it's calm. Hopefully things will settle down early next week. It will be interesting to see what this next Hurricane does. It's a category five with winds 160 gusting to 200.

Brad G.
09-11-2003, 08:41 PM

I am going to give it a go tomorrow (Friday) and get out there early and hope for the best. Hopefully the seas stay down some, and the fish show themselves for a couple chances. Going to be an early morning to get down there, but it's always worth it to get out there and try.