PDA

View Full Version : Skunked in S. County, RI

mikewrx
10-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Fished yesterday 4:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Concentrated on Weekapaug and East Beach. Large schools of Peanut Bunker everywhere but very little feeding activity present Saw the usual Bass around Weekapaug in the 30" range but no takers. A few Bluefish evident sporadically on E. beach but nothing major. I saw one bluefish caught all day.

Tight lines

peterjay
10-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Mike, you quit too soon. The blues came slamming in at dusk, just as they've been doing for most of the past week when it's been fishable. The FD beach was stacked with baby bunker and the choppers ate well. Didn't see too many bass, but I heard they've been popping in after dark.

mikewrx
10-08-2003, 04:20 PM
I thought that might happen. Left the house around 2:00 AM on 3 hrs sleep so had to head home while still lucid.

artb
10-08-2003, 05:00 PM
:) The fish are there. I try to get down in the area a couple of times a week. This morning I went to Quonochontaug first, should have gone to Misquamicut first. Both bass and blues were right in the suds early. At the east wall of Quonny they were taking bass and blues. I drove the beach from Weekapaug to Misquamicut bass and blues all along. They show for 10 minutes, and then disappear, and then reappear later. I also drove the beach at Watch Hill beach, right down to the wall. There is a lot of bait right against the shore. Both bass and blues are being caught. I didn't see any real large bass, but I did see some 8 to 10 lb blues. The secret is that the fish are on the move, and pod after pod move through so if you are not there when they show the water looks lifeless, except for the bait. What a beautiful day.I wasn't skunked. The problem I have is I am old, and I hate the 3 hour round trip.:-%

mikewrx
10-08-2003, 05:13 PM
No doubt they are there but I was on the beach(es) yesterday and there was very little visible. I saw a few pods of fish but the longest they were around was about 1 minute in any location. The bait was for the most part unmolested. I saw absolutely no one hooked up except for one guy at Weekapaug early. I would have at least expected to see the bait being crashed as a few splashes are clearly visible on a good day for a 1/4 mi or more. With binoculars you can easily see a mile. I guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.