PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Duckys

Slamdance
10-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Yesterday while standing on the rocks of Magnolia I witnessed a couple of guys in a small Lund get their asses handed to them by a couple of the swells. They didn't appear to have their engine going and they were both turned with their backs to the waves watching the epic blitz behind them. My buddy who was kyaking near them yelled a warning to them that there was a big set coming in, but they couldn't get out fast enough. The boat rode up and over the first swell but got spun around in the trough. The second swell did them in. Their boat surfed down the face of the wave backwards and a little sideways to a point where I could not see them behind the wave. When the wave finally died one guy was in the water about 50 feet from the boat and the other had somehow managed to stay in the boat which had miraculously self-righted. He was able to get the motor going before the next swell came in, somehow shipped enough water, and got out of the surf zone to pick up his dog-paddling buddy. Neither was wearing a life jacket.

A couple of lucky duckys. Be careful out there.

Markymark
10-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Fish are not worth dying for... those guys must have gotten racing stripes in their skivvies like never before. I would hate to see someone get hurt having some " end of the season" fun.

Albiemanmike
10-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Was fishing Montauk on Tuesday and there were some huge swells coming in from some hurricane out in the ocean. These waves were in the 10-12 ft. range or better and I was not prepared for them going over. It was flat calm from CT. side over but when we got near the point I could see the huge heave coming in to the point. We went around the point and headed a little west along the shore looking for signs of fish and while scanning the water I strayed a little too close to shore. Next thing I know there is a wall of water 10+ ft. high coming at us from the port side, it was too late to do anything but pray. My buddy didn't even see it until we got on top of it and he about crapped his pants. Lucky for us we just rolled up and over and I high tailed it out of there. Needless to say I stayed out away from the shoreline the rest of the day. It was pretty tolerable if you stayed 1/8 mi. or so from the beach but get in close and you were flirting with disaster. The water is nothing to take lightly and I don't, all it takes is one second of inattentiveness and it could spell the end.

Mike M.