PDA

View Full Version : S. County, RI Reports?

mikewrx
10-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Heading up to the area Sunday, AM. Anyone have any fresh reports from Saturday?

Tight lines

DaveK
10-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Found fish in Charlestown, Weakapaug, and Westerly on 10/24. Just have to move around and you will find fish. Only schoolie bass and blues of all sizes. The keepers keep eluding me.

DaveK

Slater
10-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Just returned from an early boat trip from Weekapaug to Watch Hill. DaveK is exactly right. There are a ton of fish. Big blues and schoolie stripers. Biggest striper was 28" (see below). The action didn't really start until the sun was up around 7:30am. A boat is the best option since there are large schools of mixed species within a half mile of shore. There were some schools that moved in close to shore as well but most of the action was outside of surfcasting range. If you're on a boat you want to work beneath the schools on the surface. That's where the bigger bass are and the blues aren't (as much). The action slowed signifacantly at the top of the tide. High will be around 10am tomorrow. The SW 10-15 tomorrow could make the shore fishing very good and the temp won't be as cold (in the 50's in the AM tomorrow). 29 degrees at 6AM this morning. Burrrr.

bdowning
10-25-2003, 04:43 PM
I was there Friday, and there were mini-blitzes everywhere from East Beach to Watch Hill. And plenty were beach accessible, although a boat would certainly keep you on the action longer. Schoolies and some nice-sized blues to 12 lbs mixed, but I saw a few nice 20 lb plus bass landed on poppers so they are there. Although not on the scale of the legendary RI fall runs that some of us got spoiled with fishing in the early 90s, this is the most consistent fall fishing I've seen in South County in a number of years. And some great flyfishing opportunities tight to shore if you're so inclined.

-bd

notime
10-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Fished from Fresh ponds to weekapaug and it was slow going. Talking to other fisherman, same story. This was from shore. I did see some action offshore, but nothing even close to shore.

b.clancy
10-26-2003, 12:47 PM
I hit WH to Weekapaug on Sat. I got a late start due to boat battery problems. Didnít get on the water Ďtil 8:30 or so. Found lots of birds and some breaking blues right away, but they didnít stay up long and were tough to approach. Managed a couple of casts into fish w/out any hookups. Then, as mentioned previously, they just seemed to turn off around the top of the tide and/or when the wind switched to SW. I saw very few fish after that. I might have seen 1 albie, but it was from a distance and I wasnít sure. W/ the tunoids pretty cleared out and getting skunked yesterday, Iím probably done fishing the salt this year. A fairly disappointing fall run for me. Last year I was catching fish well into Nov.
The day was capped off by an incredibly long wait to pull the boat and follies galore at the Barn Island ramp. The extremely low tide was causing havoc for all the boaters, self included. But the prize performance undoubtedly belonged to the Jeep trying to launch a small aluminum. Not sure what the trio of non-English speaking dudes were saying to each other, but apparently it wasnít about the risk of backing the Jeep in so deep that the front wheels were nearly covered w/ water. Not only could they still not get the boat off the trailer, but they couldnít get the Jeep back out. When I saw the bubbles in the vicinity of the right rear tire, I realized that they only had 2 wheel drive. And of course, they had backed the boat in at such an angle, that they blocked the ramp so other people couldnít work around them. And of course, they had cut in front of me in the queue on the ramp. Oh well, if they hadnít cut in front of me, I never would have seen the show.
Bob

Albiemanmike
10-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Barn Island was a disaster yesterday. I have never in all my years launching there seen it so low. My boat was bottoming out when I first tried to get it back on the trailer. Had to come in on an angle and then pull it straight. Ended up with the boat a bit off center but was not going to attempt to back down into the shallow water to fix it. Found bass and blues all along the shore line from WH to Weekapaug in the morning. Very cold to start, warmed up later but still chilly and then the wind came and made it pretty choppy. Not many bass but lots of big blues.

Mike M.

albacized
10-26-2003, 05:51 PM
i fished from pt judith to charlestown today (am). it was a slow pick, but fish were definitely there (all schoolie sized bass). on another note, i also came down armed for a few rounds w/ the hickory shad (while it was still dark) and couldn't find any. i looked near the galilee boat ramp (that bridge) and over in the inlet that dumps into the harbor of refuge. i also booked over to check back inside the charlestown breachway. zippo......during the past 5 or so years, i've killed them down there at this time of year. are they around in any numbers this year????
rich n

JohnR
10-26-2003, 06:25 PM
bigger bass towards narragansett

silverado mike
10-26-2003, 07:47 PM
I made my first trek south this year to Weekapaug breechway.
I was there for sun-up so I had a good spot at the tip of the jetty. blue on my first cast. 12 fish in the first hour then few and far between. all schoolie bass my biggest was 27. I did get a 12 pound blue though..wow that was a fight..will be back there next weekend

Mike

FishHawk
10-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Got to Napatree early Saturday, a two mini blitzes . Talked to the night crew who reported that they didn't catch a thing. Walked down to the beach towards the point when a small blitz occured. Made a few casts the caught my biggest fish of the year a 31" striper on a bay anchovie. What a way to end the season. Then the wind picked up and it was all over.
FishHawk:D

bauerman
10-27-2003, 06:54 AM
10/27/03 Fisfhed South County, On Saturday and Sunday.
Sat put in a little late for me early morning temp,cold at 28. Launched at 7:20 am found fish early at Five Cottages , near Deep Hole. Not a lot of boats on them, Preaty steady action until the top of tide. Then the lites went out. Did get 30 in the boat, All around 24-27 nice fish. My partner out fished me 2-1. Fly selection made a diference. when I change to the fly he was using I closed the Gap . Still a good day. Small gray and White deciever.2 1/2 did the trick.
Sunday was a little tougher didnt stay long, conditions made it tough to stay on fish.. Still loads of bait
' ITS FAR FROM OVER>:cool:

talbot3
10-27-2003, 08:48 AM
I worked my way up and down from Weekapaug to end of Napatree. I saw way more fishers than fish.
Sporadic working birds. Many were casting metal along the beach from Misquamicut to Watch Hill--schoolies and big blues. Somebody near me got a 32 inch bass.

I heard there are still a lot of fish off of Newport.....

Duncan Talbot

bdowning
10-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Not that I have seen, but then everything seems to be late. The shad usually seem to fill in very late in the season when the best of the bass fishing is on the downhill slope. I just don't think we're there yet though.

-bd

Originally posted by albacized
during the past 5 or so years, i've killed them down there at this time of year. are they around in any numbers this year????
rich n

mikewrx
10-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Fished 10/26 5:00 AM to 12:00 PM Charlestown to Misquamicut. Saw the same as everyone else. Sporadic birds working along the beaches/breachways. Wind was pretty bad for flyfishing but the surfcasters seemed to be connecting w/blues and schoolie bass when in range. I got skunked again. Lousy year for me. About 60 hours in the area and only a handful of fish. Can't seem to get myself in the right place at the right time.

Tight lines

notime
10-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Fished RI on Sunday with G-Man. We fished from Narragansett to Weekapaug. Not a lot to report except big wind and surf.

Details:

G-man saw lots of fish at Narragansett Saturday night so we started there at false dawn. Zip. Waited for about an hour and drove west to Charlestown beach. Quick look toward green hill and the breachway, zip. Drove to Fresh Pond and saw big school of birds just off Fresh Pond rocks but out of range. G-Man launched his kayak to chase the birds but they quickly moved down toward the Charlestown breachway. See "Holy Crap" in kayak forum for details if interested.

After G-man surfed his kayak to shore and dumped we headed to Weekapaug. Quick look at the Weekapaug point, Misquamicut, Weekapaug beach zip. Drove to Quonnie and fished the breachway area for a while. Both enjoyed fishing off the rocks in the big surf. Only caught a small schoolie, but just had that "big fish on the next cast" look. Drove back to Narragansett on the way home and G-man launched his kayak and got into some bluefish.

fishinbill
10-27-2003, 12:48 PM
Guys:

I may have the opportunity to fish the south beaches from shore tomorrow (Tuesday). Any recommendations for best time of day? I am thinking just before sunrise, but would love it if I heard that it really isn't necessary for me to get up that early.

Thanks.

notime
10-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Sunrise or a few hours before sunset. You can catch it at anytime during the day, but these are definitely the best time in my experience. Anyone have thoughts about which is better, sunrise or sunset?

G-Man
10-27-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks notime for showing me so many new fishing spots on RI south beaches.

Who knows what's the best time?
We started before dawn on Sunday and I did not get into fish until 2pm. Wished I slept in a bit longer.

I can tell you Sat and Sunday was the same thing at Narragansett beach. Afternoon blitzes...quiet in morning.

Since you should know our pain...
Get there before dawn for sure. :)
-G

fishinbill
10-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Don't worry, I have spent many bleary-eyed mornings on those beaches catching nothing. It's mostly my own fault, however. Even when I try to tell myself that I don't need to get there crazy early, I usually end up doing it anyway--just in case.

I am the Charlie Brown of fishing.

rockfisherman
10-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by albacized
on another note, i also came down armed for a few rounds w/ the hickory shad (while it was still dark) and couldn't find any. i looked near the galilee boat ramp (that bridge) and over in the inlet that dumps into the harbor of refuge. i also booked over to check back inside the charlestown breachway. zippo......during the past 5 or so years, i've killed them down there at this time of year. are they around in any numbers this year????
rich n

At least from what I have seen, the shad are around in good numbers, but not like the gonzo numbers of previous years when the channel behind Georges was loaded with busting shad.

But as bd said, they seem to fill in late when the bass numbers are on the decline. That has been my experience as well.

Time of day? Could be anytime this time of year, but early and late are certainly better bets as notime said.

Notime...mornings or evenings better? Evenings are better for me because I don't have to get up early! ;)

bdowning
10-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Time of day for the bite is totally unpredictable at this time of year, but late afternoons and just after dark have been fishing a bit better for me lately than early AM. More crowded though ;).

-bd

docofthebay
10-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Its been a great Oct on the So Rhody Shore compared to recent past years. The bait so far has been predominated by baby bunker. What do people think about significant large bunker or a good herring migration this year?