PDA

View Full Version : Leader Questions

paflyfisher
10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm a newbie when it comes to flyfishing in the surf. Got a quick question about leaders for stripers and blues.

I'm used to intricate trout leaders that I build with stiff Maxima butts and gradually taper down to softer Umpqua tippets.

From what I've read, I don't need to be as "intricate" with my saltwater leaders. So I just tied a few up using Deep Blue flurocarbon 30# (.017) butts about 48" in length connected with loop-to-loop (perfection loops) to 36" Deep Blue 20# (.015) tippets.

I haven't tried them yet. That comes tomorrow somewhere in New Jersey. But they just seem awfully soft for turning over your average Deceiver.

Any thought or suggestions on the "formula," Deep Blue material and perfection loop-to-loop connections will be greatly appreciated.

By the way I have a fairly stiff 30lb. (.022) mono butt section attached to the WF10I line.

Thanks.

Ed

Popes
10-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Ed:

For the most part, you can probably fish comfortably and successfully in your area with a straight7 to 9 foot piece of 20 lb mono or fluro. There are certainly exceptions where a tappered leader will help to turnover a fly or make for a more delicate presentation, but this will suffice for general use 90% of the time.

The knots you are using are fine, though when I do feel the need to use a tappered leader I generally use a perfertion loop to connect to the leader butt, and nail or blood knots for the remaining connections (smoother transition, don't get as much stuff hung on them). I use a non-slip mono loop to connect to the fly.

I don't know anything about the Deep Blue material, but not all flurocarbon is created equal. See how it works. If your knots are persistently slipping or tippet is breaking, switch. I have had good results with both Seagar and Orvis Mirage.

Lastly, expect to loose a few flies to the blues on twenty pound tippet. I have tried all the pre-rigged wire, plastic-coated wire, etc. More trouble than it is worth. If you know that there are a lot of blues around, put on a piece of 50 lb mono/fluro and check it after each strike.

Go get 'em,
Bob

Ray
10-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Depending on the locations, deeper water vs flats. I use 2 different leaders.

For deep water: 5 feet of 30# FC to 4 feet of 15# FC (slightly shorter for full sink line and giant flies)

For flats: 6 feet of 30# FC to 6 feet of 12#FC.

Don't use loop to loop connections between leader sections. Any standard rigid knot will work. I use loops for the line to leader.

bluefishercat
10-31-2003, 12:20 PM
this thread is from earlier this month http://reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33984