PDA

View Full Version : On The Run

blitzmaster
11-02-2003, 08:02 AM
just read the book on the run by david dibenedetto a must read for all of us *****stars

JohnR
11-02-2003, 11:57 AM
This book has two decent chapters - one on "skishing" and one with Jack Gartside.

As a person who fishes the fall run religiously I was looking forward to this one and snapped up the hardcover edition shortly after it came out. Let me say twenty-five bucks was way too much to spend on this short little book. It reads like a few tourism magazine articles strung together and that's basically what it is.

The thing that bothered me the most about the book is that it is the account of a first-timer to the fall run. I didn't realize that until after I bought the book. If you've read the "skishing" chapter which appeared in magazine form somehwere already and have actually fished the migration you might not get much out of this one.

If you want to feel fall blitz fishing fever in the middle of February then read "The Moon Pulled Up An Acre Of Bass" instead. The guy who wrote that one had his mojo going and this guy gets skunked a lot.

Fishstick
11-02-2003, 06:19 PM
I read it as well and have to agree with the 5 star rating. I couldn't put it down. In adition to Skishing and Gartside, the chapters on spearfishing, John Cole and Albert McReynolds' world record saga were great.

blitzmaster
11-02-2003, 09:09 PM
i dont know about that thumb down but to each is own i put it up there with full metal jacket, I cant get enough im going to read it again after eastern tides just picked it up .

see ya on the surf

dondkim
11-02-2003, 09:58 PM
I have collected few books on striped bass fishing over the years and believe me some of the books have been read and read and reread.

I have enjoyed "On The Run" very much because it is not a usual how to, where to and when to book, and mentioning few personal friends on mine made reading more fun.

I was disappointed that he didn't mentioned of retrieve any dead body out of East River.:-% :-% :-% --125-3

saltyric
11-03-2003, 06:01 AM
Thumbs up! I thought it was a very book. I sort of liked the roookie approach to things. Not every book as to be written by a 20 year veteran to be considered a good read!