PDA

View Full Version : Simple Big Fly

Ray
11-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Last season I was looking for a big fly to use when fishing in the spring. One spot I was fishing was loaded with big Herring. I wish I had a big Herring fly.

So I tied up the fly below. I am posting it because it is very easy. A bunch of natural Yak hair some flash a bunch of olive Yak hair and long Peacock Hearl. Tied on 6/0 hook, 10 inches long.

One false cast and the thing is nearly dry and easy to cast.

Ray
11-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Forgot pic - again

stevec
11-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Wow a 10" Fly!!
Beautiful work...looks real easy too.

Ray
11-05-2003, 02:59 PM
It is easy. The hardest part is finding a fly box it fits in.

Though I rarely use it, it's good to have at least one really big fly. There was a situation last year on the Cape when big Stripers wouldn't hit anything under 7 - 8 inches. But throw a big one out there and it was gone in second.

captshiner
11-05-2003, 06:18 PM
Ray: what set-up are you tossing those large flies with? I tied a bunch of these 10-12" bunker (pogie) flies and they are about as easy to toss as a brick.

striblue
11-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Nice Ray!... I could slap that over my bald spot because it is SO big.

Ray
11-06-2003, 08:54 AM
I typically throw this with a 9 or 10 weight. It's pretty easy to throw when it's dry. The Yak hair doesn't hold much water, so you can false cast once or twice and get the water out.

ruge13
11-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Capt - they are with a light line, like an int or a floater, at least if you don't slow down your back cast. However, I use some huge 10-14" herring patterns in the spring in the harbor and I find them to be a perfect balance of drag in the air for my 350 grn line on a 9 weight. Makes the line control similar to the floater or int. with normal flies.

stevec
11-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Ray

How did you get the Yak hair so straight?

I am going to try and tie a few of these up.

Ray
11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I bought it that way. The hair isn't really straight. It shouldn't be for a fly like this. The waviness adds to the bulk while minimizing the weight.

stevec
11-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks Ray.
Appreciate the help

ruge13
11-07-2003, 01:50 PM
I have thought about this with some of the big flies I use but never thought to ask..anyone use stinger hooks? I missed a bunch of takes this year where the fish hit further back on the fly. Typically smaller fish, but hey a fish is a fish. Anwyay, I thnk a second dropper hook might have made the difference. Anyone ever use a hook dropped off the first farther back in the fly? In this example, why not runa piece of heavy flouro back through the trailing mylar body (I think thats what that is) and add a second hook? Does this ruin the action of the fly? I was going to try it this year btu never got around to doing it...

DbleHaul
11-07-2003, 02:38 PM
You could try a stinger hook, but there is a down side to them. They greatly increase the odds of having a deeply hooked fish (gut, throat, gills).

I'm speaking from experience. To me, the occasional miss far outweighs the damage to a larger fish that takes the fly and gets damaged by an additional hook further back on the fly.

ruge13
11-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Didn't think of that...thanks...

Wes
11-08-2003, 06:26 PM
I started adding a little weight to the shank of my biggest flies. Without it some would cast like kites, just die once the line slowed without turning over. When you can only cast 40 feet this is a huge problem. ;) Yak hair needs much less lead added than "half a chicken".

Shaun, the few decent bass I caught on big flies last year inhaled the fly very deeply. I tied a loop of wire into a few big flies for blues but never used it. Figured it couldn't hurt and it would be easy to add a stinger if I needed to. Just haven't found those gators taking flies this year.