PDA

View Full Version : Aruba Charter...

CMP
11-16-2003, 08:39 AM
Any ReelTimers planning on being in Aruba the week of JANUARY 17-24? I'll be there and plan to fish with a charter I've been using for a numnber of years now and would like to share the trip if anyone is interested. I fish with Pete Maier, a Dutch ex-pat who is getting better by the year. Lemme know...

CMP

mjleliev
11-17-2003, 11:22 AM
I wish I could go.
Was there 4 years ago.
For future ref, could you post his phone number, and boat name.
Is he moored at the main harbor dock?

CMP
11-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Pete is docked by the high rises behind the Marriott-shorter run to offshore. The boat's not much to look at but he has been getting better each year. His number 011-297-931550...

CMP

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy
11-17-2003, 09:01 PM
booked cruise to attract one from the "other quarry". hint hint. we complain about catching them after they are caught.
Any way will port in aruba second week in february. heck if i had known you were going, i would have booked it for january. people i have talked too say too windy for favorable fly fishing. i am more open minded in that my impression of offshore fly fishing for dorado and such would be easy short casts from fish on structure or chemmed up. does your guide have an opinion on such or is trolling, livelining the exclusive sportfishing venture. i appreciate your input on aruba fishing as this will be a first. royal caribbean ports in there overnight so would be able to get off boat during the truly early fishy part of morning. will go to st thomas and st maartn and curacau island for single days, but under somewhat limited cruiseline hours. any idea about these places in comparison. am interested in light tackle offshore experience for average fish, variety more important than size. but then again with my quarry, size might matter. thanks for your consideration.

CMP
11-18-2003, 07:48 AM
When I first fished with Pete 8 years ago, he was just getting his feet wet and tended to merely meat-fish for wahoo, dolphin, AJ's and tuna. I showed up with a whole sh!tload of marlin gear and kinda forced him to take me fishing for marlin, but only after he caught some wahoo for the mate to sell. He has, as have many of the other charters, slowly gotten more into the whole marlin thing. That said, most of them prefer to troll around and catch whatever hits the hook. Despite its outstanding location and Hawaii-like close access to deep water, Aruba is still more of a family resort and the fishign is more an afterthought for most people, so a tug from a decent wahoo is more than they bargained for. As to fly fishing, I really haven't asked. The marlins we've caught there tend to be good-sized from deep water and you'd be badly over-matched on fly gear once they started to sulk. Hey, it's worth a try and if you can get a day, Pete is a pretty funny guy-go for it...

CMP

FireFly
11-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Good luck in Aruba- buddy just got back from his Hmoon down there and took his wife on a charter for the day (maybe 1/2 day) and did quite well. He's now "god" status in my book- anyone who can convince their new bride to go fishing for a day on the Hmoon has something special going for him.

I'll be in the Turks the same week- hope to wet a line while I am down there.

capt. mike
11-19-2003, 09:43 AM
I went out with Capt Pete for the first time last July. He was a real great guy and a good captain. I recommend to anyone on "One Happy Island" to look him up behind the Marriott Hotel. He has a technique where he trolls a live bait on a hand line. It is pure gas pulling in a 20lb. Kingfish with no rod or drag, just your two hands! Old School Stlye!