PDA

View Full Version : Best bonefishing in February

PeterRoss
11-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi everybody,
Me and 2 of my mates plan to escape the harshness of Scandinavian winter this year (again) and head for warm and salt waters of Caribbean or South America.

We are not the "******** Lodge" people so we do not need high class hotels or meals served on the best china. But we love fishing. We have done it before and we have loved it.

Now a question to all of you wizards traveling all over the world - what is in your opinion the best bonefishing destination in February?
The most important parameters in this analysis would be:
* quality of fishing
* price
* access to the final destination

figen
11-26-2003, 08:23 AM
I vote for CUBA

knut
12-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Cuba here to!

PeterRoss
12-02-2003, 03:48 AM
It seems like this particular thread is reserved for Norwegians or something:))

In a way I am disappointed that nobody from other parts of the world has found the subject interesting... if this trend continues we may switch from English to Norwegian - it could be something:cool:

Cuba does sound good, but what are the weather statistics for the island for February? ... and the prices, are they much higher then during the rest of the season?

Tuna
12-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Not sure of relative price to Cuba, but my pop, brother and I took a number of trips to Los Roques Venezuala around the February time frame years past. Great bonefishing. Los Roques is a national park, a series of many small islands off the coast. The set up in the old days is you would be boated to a flat, wade the flat, boated to the next one. Lots and lots of bonefish, good average size.

We went 3 times, loved it each time.

We booked through a group named Frontiers.

figen
12-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Hi Tuna,

I've heard that Venezuelan women are ugly, so not sure if we want to go there! ;)

just kidding.. what's the average size of bones down there? can you do some self-guiding, or is it necessary to have a guide/boat?

Tuna
12-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Self guiding is not practical for Los Roques. There is only one inhabitasble island (Grande Roque) and it has no fishable flats. All the flats are out in the uninhabitable islands which can only be reached by boat.

When I was there 3 times, I'd guestimate the average size at 4 pounds - lots of 2-4 pounders, some 6, 8 and 10 pounders - saw bigger but never landed them.

For comparison purposes, the places I'd fished in Mexico seemed to have 1-2 pound average - lots of 1 pounders, some 2 pounders, some 4-6 pounders, a sighting or two of bigger fish.

knut
12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
It seems that Los Roques has the same problem as Cuba.
You have to by a package with guide/boat and sometimes also hotel.
In Cuba one week of fishing(5 days fishing and 7 days hotel) cost aboat US$ 2100-2800. Destination is Cayo Largo,Salinas(Zapata) or Jardines Del Reina.
What you can do is to go to Cayo Coco/Cayo Guillermo on the North shore and go by your own.I guess you need one day of guiding to find the hot spots.This is what we did 2 weeks ago and we got Bones and Permit. We missed the "Grand Slam" because of no Tarpoon landed but we felt the strike!!

Knut

Quicksilver
12-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Hello Peter Ross! Would you be willing to reveal one or two destinations you have found favorable to frugal flyfishermen ???

Quicksilver
12-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Peter?

Quicksilver
12-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Peter?

figen
12-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi Knut,

Thanks for the info. We are looking at the Cayo Coco area, and I've been told that you can get guides there for about $150-200 per day. But it is bit more inconvenient for us with regard to flights and hotels (seems to be very all-inclusive focused on CC), not to mention the uncertainty of Cuba compared to a well-oiled tourist destination. ps! If you're in the Oslo area around x-mas, I'll be happy to buy you beer and talk fishing.. :-%

Quicksilver, I'm sure mr. Ross will be with you shortly. While you are waiting, let me tell you that we usually go to Punta Allen / Mexico, which with some research, can be done for around $200 a day for guided fishing. If that doesn't satisfy your frugal rating, there is also the Bahamas, which has plenty of DIY opportunities, and not to forget an average bonefish size double that of Mexico.

Quicksilver
12-19-2003, 03:40 PM
Thank you figen !

PeterRoss
12-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Hi,
Sorry QuickSilver and everybody else who's been expecting any feedback from me. I have been sent around Europe and now I've landed in Macedonia. Btw: did you know that the oldest flies ever found are from this region? About 1000 years old, if I am not mistaken...:rolleyes:

Anyway, the question was - what my personal preferences are when it comes to the fishing destinations. I assume that we are talking here about saltwater fishing and that my favorites among the salmon and trout streams will not really do in here.
As my dear friend Figen has mentioned we have fished a couple of times in Mexico - Punta Allen. Figen has been bitching lately that neither the size of the fish nor the senioritas are compatible with his ambitions and preferences and that we have to check out other destinations.
Personally I do not complain, I got myself some fish that I can brag about and I lost some that can tickle my imagination for some years. When it comes to senioritas Figen may be right, but it is not my first priority in Mexico.

peanuts
01-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi Peter: Check out Eleuthera ( Bahamas) good fishing with or without a guide you choose? easy access from Europe via either Miami or Nassau. Check out Rainbow Inn websight for accommmodation,www.rainbowinn.com.
will help further if needed :cool:

Quicksilver
01-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Can we kick it up a notch? I am wondering about the best DIY destination on the planet, regardless of month. To date I have not fished Andros, or any of the islands in the Bahamas. I have hit the Florida Keys a bunch of times. My best there was a 31"-32" (overall length), bonefish out of a yak.