PDA

View Full Version : Red Brook & the Mashpee River

Dirt Hawker
11-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Has anyone out there ever fished the Mashpee River or Red Brook down on the cape for sea run brookies? I have heard both of these places are very good. Any recomendations on flys or gear?

Also anyone up north the Mousam has been fishing great. I got up there a little late and the main hole was packed, so i went down stream and got a few rainbows and sea run browns. #16 scud or bead head hares ear with floating line. From what I saw the people that got on the hole early were getting a fish about every three cast.

boba
12-24-2003, 07:20 PM
I haven't had any luck in either sighting or catching sea-runs in the Mashpee.
However, several years ago in the Qaushnet, I sighted some sea-runs just as it met the saltwater below Rt. 151, I spotted a large pod of browns that I initially thought were 13-15 lb. blues. Just at that moment when I realized what they were, I managed to get my waders tangled in in silt-covered tree roots (translate: it looked like solid ground, but it sure wasn't) and fell on my face with a magnificent splash of mud and water. You can guess the result. I still haven't figured out who was more scared.
If you choose to go in below 151, bring bramble-proof waders. A chain-saw and brush-hook would also be helpful. It took me a loooong time to work down through there just to fall on my face. The muddy, wet hike back up wasn't much fun either.

DLWKFW
12-31-2003, 01:48 PM
I was planning on making a trip to Red Brook soon to check it out. It's now managed by the Trustees, but is still a no fee area. I believe that they are in partnership with the DFW and TU on the property.

I'd actually like to see the stream managed like Connetquot in New York. It would be amazing to have a world class sea run stream on the south coast. There are some other spots thet they could try this out as well.

For my money, this is a far better expenditure than the monies going to restoring Salmon to the Connecticut. (However noble and amazing a feat that is.)

DW

sage fly guy
01-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I remember one day my brothers and I were walking along Red Brook Road on a journey to John's Variety store to try out the latest video game. As we crossed the bridge over the brook we always looked under to see if any fish were hanging around. Well this day there were 2 of largest sea run brown's you have ever seen just hanging around facing into the current. We nearly dropped, picture the 4 of us running like maniacs the mile or so to the house to get a couple of rods. All we new back then was fresh water so we tied on a couple of rooster tails and high tailed it back to the bridge. Damn things were still in the same spot. We cast at them for about 10 minutes until we realized they weren't going to take our offerings.

Vivid as if it was yesterday, I wonder if that pair still comes back. But then again that was almost 25 years ago. It sure was fun running from Mr. Lyman and his groundskeeper though.