PDA

View Full Version : Lend me your vices for Scouting Project

LandlockedinMI
11-25-2003, 08:42 AM
During a rare moment of clarity, I stuck my neck out and volunteered to help PAck 2 Scouts earn their fishing badges. Step 1 is teaching them to tie a fly.

Now I need some vices. No, the ones you tie flies on.......

If you have vice you can lend me for @ 30 days I can have UPS pick it up at and address you provide and it won't cost you a thing.

So if you have an old vice or even an extra you can do w/out for a few weeks, let me know.

I would also appreciate any ideas on what to have them tie. I'm thinking clouser at this point....

THANKS ALL!!!!

peterjay
11-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Tying the eyes on a Clouser would probably give the kids fits. (I'm assuming you mean Cub Scouts - ages 8-11) I'd keep it as simple as possible for raw beginners. A very basic bucktail or marabou streamer with a chenille body would be a better choice. It doesn't even have to be a recognized pattern as long as it looks like something a fish might grab. Simple nymphs, egg patterns, etc. would be good choices as well, but based on my own experience as a beginner, streamers would be easier for the kids to fish and actually catch something. If you can teach a kid at that age to tie a fly that produces a strike, you're probably going to hook him for life. Over forty years ago, a RI game warden volunteered his time to teach a bunch of us juvenile delinquents to tie flies, and most of us are still at it.

LandlockedinMI
11-25-2003, 09:39 AM
That's the idea!!!! I had someone else suggest a woolly bugger, which is a good thought too.

jim pod
11-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Asst.Scoutmaster Troop 53 Mattapoisett Mass here, e-mail me at j-pod@rcn.com with what you need .I'll take care of the UPS to you . I do Fly fishing and fishing merit badges for my troop and your right once they catch something on a fly that they tied you have them for life
Good luck
Jim

Jacob K.
11-25-2003, 01:03 PM
hey
i dont have a vise to lend, but i can give you a bit of advise. i just took the first in a learn to fly tie class. we died olive over white buck tails and white water witches. both very easy flies to learn something on. have not had the 2nd, 3rd and 4th classes yet, so i cant tell you what else we will fie, but i hope that is of some help.
jacob

mizt
11-25-2003, 01:34 PM
No vice sorry, but how about a seaducer. Very easy to tie.

talbot3
11-25-2003, 04:15 PM
I have a vise I can send (last I looked). Send me your address and I will send it USPS priority. Can send anything that will fit in the envelope for 4$. Want some rocks too?

That seaducer idea is pretty cool! I used one on a largemouth trip last spring and it drove the fish nuts!

I think in return, though, you gotta take me for steelies sometime.

Duncan Talbot

RJ
11-25-2003, 06:30 PM
LLinMI,

I have a Thompson "A" vise that you may have to keep.

It is basic but it works. Since I started using a Nor-Vise I haven't gone back to it.

Post a mailing address and I'll send it along!

I remember volunteering for the Pack when my two boys were Cub Scouts.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Slante'

:-%

mdrew9
11-26-2003, 05:49 AM
Being an Eagle scout, I believe there is more to learn than just tying a fly. Teach them a lesson in business, volunteerism and production. Have them practice for a couple weeks, tie up some lobster patterns then give them to the members of the board! Here is a quick hint, debarb the hooks before you give them to the kids, this will help prevent "problems". Good luck!
Mike

Quicksilver
11-29-2003, 01:47 PM
As a tyer who worked with some kids at shows with United Fly Tyers Rhode Island, you may want to start with a wooly worm and next a wooly bugger. Kids are great. They have no fear of screwing up because it's all new! They just follow directions and they have very nimble fingers. When do you need the vises?

LandlockedinMI
11-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I pack leaded outta MA is sending everything so I'm good with supplies. After working w/ my 8 year old- the fly will be the wooly worm. PAlmering is asking a bit much from those with the attention span of goldfish......

Thanks everyone.

Are the tuna back yet?