PDA

View Full Version : the eagle has landed

riptide
01-01-2004, 07:00 PM
posted 01-01-2004 06:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my back yard!!! This morning at around 0730 I was pulling into my driveway when a large raptor flew out from a tall tree in my back yard. I have a ton of ospray since I live on a lake, but this was bigger. I figured it was one of the Red tailed hawks that live on the power lines nearby, but as the bird circled it just got bigger and bigger. Initially the sun was behind it and all I could see was the outline. Then it soared around and came within 80-100 feet on my cruiser with the sun to my back. It was a BALD EAGLE!!!! It made several more passes over the yard before heading down the lake. I've seen them before, but never around here. What a sight. There was no mistaking it from the close proximity. I had a digital camera in my cruiser, but just couldn't pry myself away long enough to go in and get it. You just don't realize how big they really are until you see one gliding by that close. What a way to start the new year! Hopefully he will like the area and spend the winter on or near the lake.

AlderBrookFarm
01-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Aren't they awesome up close! We had just "moved in" for a week of fishing at a camp in Maine when we heard this screeching. Opened the sliders and ran out on the deck to see what was going on and there on the lake's edge about 100' away at the most were two bald eagles fighting over a fish carcass that our predecessors must have left. Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures because the cameras were still packed away. Still, they left their own picture in our minds...way cool.

Mark Cahill
01-01-2004, 08:04 PM
I spotted a Kite swooping through the front yard a month ago while I was out for a smoke. Later in the day I drove by Manchaug Lake with my daughters and the youngest and I both saw an eagle grab a fish out of the lake.

Didn't have the heart to tell a 4 yo that she'd probably never see a sight like that again...

PhlieRod
01-01-2004, 08:36 PM
That's awesome. Whereabouts do you live?

BobG
01-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Terry,

late last spring, I saw a bald eagle not far from that area. It was sitting directly atop of the ospry nest off Rt 25, about 1 mile below the Bourne Bridge.
I called my friend Brad Blodgett, retired ornithologist Comm of Ma to report it when I was up his way during turkey season. He told me he had reports of a pair in the canal region. My be the same bird. He told me it was common for mature eagles to take up as "seasonal resident" in areas as long as their is a good food supply.

riptide
01-02-2004, 02:30 AM
That's awesome. Whereabouts do you live?

Near Great Herring Pond (Bourne/Plymouth). From Rt 25 its a mile or so. We have 6 osprey in the summer that live on the lake. We love to watch them dive for fish while cooking out and working in the yard. This was a really nice surprise. We also have allot of turkey and small game for the eagle so he may stay since the food suply is good

Bob Parsons
01-02-2004, 12:52 PM
This morning (1/2/04) while goose hunting, I had a seal poking around my decoys and watched a deer browsing on the embankment across the creek.

RJ
01-03-2004, 06:07 AM
On Route 9, at the Annsville Creek Rotary about 35 miles north of NY City There are upwards of 20 eagles a day in the trees along the highway this time of year. Magnificant birds. :)

Kevin E. Ramsey
01-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Terry, that's neat to hear about the eagle. I spent many a summer day fishing and swimming in Great Herring Pond as a kid. That's where I learned to fish...brings back many great memories. We used to stay in a cottage off of Haskell Rd. It was nothing but sand roads then. It's probably built up somewhat now...sure was a great place to be as a kid.

ppatricelli
01-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Didn't have the heart to tell a 4 yo that she'd probably never see a sight like that again...

Mark,
If I'm interpreting you correctly, quite the opposite. There are more Bald Eagles now in the lower 48 than there have been for the past 100 years, and their numbers are still increasing. They have been DE-listed as "endangered". As a kid dyed-in-the-wool Audubon bird watcher growing up in Seattle I NEVER saw a Bald Eagle. Now one sees them DAILY around Lake Washington within the city limits. I see them once week or so driving on the freeway within Eugene, OR. Just got back from Florida and saw three there in one week, without even trying!! Last year in the winter I counted 7 on one sandbar all at once at the mouth of the Klickitat River on the Columbia River. They are becoming numerous and are increasing! Your 4 yo has a better chance of seeing many monre in her lifetime than you ever did

riptide
01-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Pete do you have any photos of them you'd care to share? Your pics are always great to see.

Mark Cahill
01-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Peter, that's excellent news...I love starting the morning off with a little bit of hope.

ppatricelli
01-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Terry,
I really don't have any eagle pics that I think are worthy of sharing, but I was working on a set up where they had an eagle that was hanging around a fish hatchery. The personnel were setting a fish out on the pathway each morning and the eagle would swoop down and grab it on the fly. I buried my camera 2 feet up flight course from the fish and had the remote shutter and 8 frame-per-second drive all set. Waited two hours with the eagle sitting in the top of the tree looking at the fish. I guess he didn't like the buried camera set up. Never swooped down and left.

But, off topic (hey, it's winter) here's a pic from last week.

riptide
01-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Second sighting of the big bald one over my deck yesterday. Wife saw a "Huge hawk with a white head and yellow claws" Then she remembered me babbling something about an eagle and realized that's what she saw. Said it looked like a small plane coming through the trees. Then it flew over the deck about 30' above her head. He must have smelled the grill cooking :D