PDA

View Full Version : Preparing deer hair

eng5
01-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I am about to aquire a patch of deer hair this week from a friend, and I have an idea how to treat it, but I thought I would ask you guys exactly how to do it. Thanks.

Saltydog
01-04-2004, 12:06 AM
I am about to aquire a patch of deer hair this week from a friend, and I have an idea how to treat it, but I thought I would ask you guys exactly how to do it. Thanks.
JOE, you need to SCRAPE ALL the FAT OFF. ive always table salt, it softens, so you can scrape it easy,
if that's any help.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN

eng5
01-04-2004, 12:51 PM
JOE, you need to SCRAPE ALL the FAT OFF. ive always table salt, it softens, so you can scrape it easy,
if that's any help.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN
THanks, I just received the pieces and the first thing I did was wash it all in warm soap and water. I think I am suppose to let it dry then salt it and scrape it, then work borax into it. Does that sound right to you? Thanks again. Of cours for $5.00 I could probably buy all I want, HA!. But I do use alot of white bucktail, and you should see the length of these. It also gives me another aspect to fly fishing to keep me occupied this winter, since I recently retired from 33yrs of fire fighting.