PDA

View Full Version : Honda 130 4-stroke

sammytx
01-07-2004, 08:38 AM
In other news, I have just been made aware that I have no compression on cylinder 4 in my Honda 130 4-stroke. I assume this could mean anything from a stuck valve to a cracked block, although the motor sounds ok and runs pretty well except for a rough idle. I am going to remove the valve cover and have a look in the next couple of weekends.
Does anyone have any experience with this engine? any hints would be appreciated.
I will post followups as I get into this repair.

-Sammy

flyfishsalt
01-12-2004, 09:25 AM
Are you aware of the recall on some of these motors ? Some of the blocks were cracking due to problems in the manufacturing. It was rare but Honda has added 10 years onto the life of the original warrenty (for any owner) for certain serieal numbers. If your engine is in this range and you do have a crack, do not work on it yourself, have a certified honda mechanic take a look at it. You may be able to get a new motor for free.

In other news, I have just been made aware that I have no compression on cylinder 4 in my Honda 130 4-stroke. I assume this could mean anything from a stuck valve to a cracked block, although the motor sounds ok and runs pretty well except for a rough idle. I am going to remove the valve cover and have a look in the next couple of weekends.
Does anyone have any experience with this engine? any hints would be appreciated.

-Sammy

sammytx
01-12-2004, 09:58 AM
The motor I have is a 1999. I would have to check the serial number. Do you know where I can find information on the recall, like maybe a range of serial numbers that are recalled?
This summer I had some recall work done on the fuel pump/vapor separator, but it was really hard to find out about the recall. I finally got it sorted out and got the work done with no charge, but it was very difficult to get information about the recall.

Thanks,
Sammy

flyfishsalt
01-12-2004, 11:07 PM
I had a 1999 and they told me to come in and have it checked out. It did not have the problems associated with the defect. I was told that a few were built with faulty construction in the engine that would lead to a crack. Aparently the cracked ones were still running fine, but Honda was replacing the motors all together for fear that this would not last forever. I was told that most of the ones recalled were 1999 model year Honda 130's. I talked to a Honda dealer in this area. If your Honda dealer is not cooperating call Honda directly and ask for the number of the rep. in your area.

The motor I have is a 1999. I would have to check the serial number. Do you know where I can find information on the recall, like maybe a range of serial numbers that are recalled?
This summer I had some recall work done on the fuel pump/vapor separator, but it was really hard to find out about the recall. I finally got it sorted out and got the work done with no charge, but it was very difficult to get information about the recall.

Thanks,
Sammy

sammytx
01-14-2004, 12:18 PM
thanks a million for the advice. If you hadn't told me about this I would already be elbow deep in a messy rebuild. I went through a couple of dealers on teh phone before I found one very knowledgeable of the recall. I am taking it to him Saturday, and I will be crossing my fingers until then that the problems I have are due to the faulty design. My serial number does fall within the affected ones.
I will let you know how it goes.
-sammy

flyfishsalt
01-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Sammy,

I talked to one dealer that had done a few that fell into the serial number range. Basically he told me that they took the starter off the motor, replaced the whole motor, and put the starter back on. I have had nothing but the best experiences with Honda and they appear to be willing to go pretty far to keep people happy.

Good Luck,
Let us know how it goes.

sammytx
02-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Well, here's the follow-up:
I called around to a few shops and finally found a dealership knowledgeable about the cracked block problems. I took the boat up to him and in 20 minutes he had removed the exhaust cover and found a cracked block. Because of the recall, we were offered a complete replacement of our 130. We were also offered the upgrade to the newly redesigned 135 for $850, which we decided to do. We now have a 2004 135 hung on the back with full warranty.
To say that we are excited would be a serious understatement. Honda may have made me a customer for life. The only thing that I could complain about is that it seemed that few dealerships really know about the recall. The first place we took it to was a Honda dealership and they told us that the engine required a rebuild that could cost from 1500 to 3500 depending on the problem. They seemed to have no idea about the recall.
I would wholeheartedly endorse our new Honda mechanic - Lighthouse Marine in Livingston TX.
I owe you big time for your reply to my orginal post. Without that information, I would probably be working my way towards a 1999 Honda 130 with a rebuilt powerhead, and now I have a 2004 Honda 135 for $850. If you are ever in Houston, drop me a line and we can go fishing. Or at least I could buy you a beer.

-Marc.

gf2020
02-03-2004, 10:00 AM
Wow!

That's a heck of an outcome! That's some customer service from Honda! (#$121)

Kudos to Captain Leclair for pointing this forum member in the right direction!

Shoctor
02-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Call a honda dealer the 130 Honda does have an open recall for the 115 efi and 130 powerheads for block cracking. Have your serial number handy. You can be the 10'th owner and still covered. Don't open the motor up though you will kill the warranty. The running problems associated with the problem are1) ROUGH IDLE. The remedy for the motor is Honda covers 100% of all repairs to the motor and warranty's the new block to 2009 or 10 years after orig date of sale. The problem was related to a casting issue in the metals resulting in metal fatigue and failure allowing water intrusion and loss of compression in cylinders.
Have any questions e-mail me back shocto@yahoo.com
Good luck!
Shane

-Sammy

GBurns
03-03-2004, 03:02 PM
Has anyone heard if this recall would potentially include the 1999 90 HP version?

Jacquestrappe
03-03-2004, 03:51 PM
What A Testament To This Forum! Unbelievable!