PDA

View Full Version : what lines should I buy...

detra
02-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Hi,

I'm new to SW flyfishing and am wondering what 2 line combination covers most conditions. I will be fishing mainly from a boat in boston harbor and the flats of monomoy and nauset, with some beach break fishing for good measure. I have acquired a 10wt redington as well as a teton tioga with an extra spool. I'm thinking maybe one intermediate sink and a 350 grain fast sink? Or do I need a floating line for surface action?

thanks,

keith

MatthewP
02-03-2004, 03:10 PM
In my opinion, you should be all set with the two lines you've mentioned. I have three lines for my saltwater rig, a floater, an intermediate, and a 375 grain. I can say I've never needed the floater (although some swear by them). 90% of my fishing (from shore) is done with the intermediate. You can fish surface patterns with the intermediate quite successfully. In fact, some argue that the intermediate imparts more action to the surface pattern by pulling it further under with each strip.

Tight lines
Matthew

sandy
02-03-2004, 03:47 PM
I agree with MatthewP. Those two lines should be fine for the harbor. I rarely use my floating but that may just be out of laziness. There can be some great surface action in the harbor in the spring and fall but during the summer doldrums you often have to fish the deeper structures, in which case the 350 would be good.

ChuckD
02-03-2004, 04:00 PM
with that line combo. Floater not as necessary plus the intermediate more wide-ranging in application to varying scenarios. If you are flats fishing Monomoy you can still get away with the intermediate(maybe better with crab patterns).

catspaw
02-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi,

I'm new to SW flyfishing and am wondering what 2 line combination covers most conditions. I will be fishing mainly from a boat in boston harbor and the flats of monomoy and nauset, with some beach break fishing for good measure. I have acquired a 10wt redington as well as a teton tioga with an extra spool. I'm thinking maybe one intermediate sink and a 350 grain fast sink? Or do I need a floating line for surface action?

thanks,

keith

Rio makes a line that has a clear intermediate tip 15' long with the running line a floater. Super line, casts great, super durabililty, doesn't tangle much. Also their Striper sink tips are, imo, the best on the market, I fish a lot and if I can keep from walking all over the line a generally abusing it I can get more than one season out of it, unlike most others.

detra
02-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the input sounds like a floater wouldn't be required very often. I tried a floater on a beach break once and wave action constantly dumped it on the beach.

thank again

stevec
02-04-2004, 06:53 AM
I carry all three general types while on the water.
The interm. & the 350gr are spooled and the floater is in the bag.
Havent used the floater yet but I don't want be caught w/o it in the event I need it

Ray
02-04-2004, 07:03 AM
I use an intermediate and 400 grain line 95% of the time. The int. will work fine on the flats. In May and June I frequently use a 150 - 200 grain line on the flats.

ruge13
02-04-2004, 07:58 AM
I use the Rio lines mentioned before. I have the 350 gr sink tip, int running line. Love it. I also have a floater from them, and a clear int. For the harbor in a boat, the Sink tip would be my line of choice. From shore, int is my line of choice given the relative shallow shore grades in the harbor. The sink tip is WAY too fast for anything less than 6ft of water. Sure, you could strip fast enough to keep it off the bottom, but you spend more time with the fly in the air or screaming through the water, than reel time in the strike zone. That and dragging a fly accross the bottom loses a lot of flies and shredds l;eades in the harbor. At night, its the floater all the time.

Sand flats, I use the sink. Nauset I use the sink because ot the currents and depths, but you have less line controll.

CaptWayne
02-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi,

thanks,

keith

Keith,

A 400 grain Depth Charge or another fast sink line is what I would use for 10 wt. but you may be able to get away with a 350 grain line depending on your rod. I would also encourage you to purchase a WF Floating line for 10 wt. I find the intermediate lines just don't do as well when using poppers and gurglers, for exampe. The Orvis Wonderlines are great. But you don't have to take my word for it...

Best,

Capt. Wayne