PDA

View Full Version : Cotuit -- 2 Shots on the Rocks

David Churbuck
02-20-2004, 02:10 PM
You know it's February when you walk the dog and see the local commercial fisherman trying to bust his way out of the ice to go catch some cod .... and a crowd of six people standing on the end of the town dock watching him do it.

Here's a couple shots from a grey day when the balmy breezes of May seem too far away to believe.

First is what happens when you build a new dock with 40 foot pilings instead of 60 footers.

Second is Wade Behlman turning the Jennifer Dan into an ice breaker.

PeteV
02-20-2004, 02:45 PM
ughh... that dock is in bad shape. Brings back some bad memories when I first built a dock at my cottage (this guy looks like he sank some serious $$ into that dock --I'm surprised he wasn't advised about the problems with winter ice). I've been working for years on a dock design that could make it through a winter. I'm at the point were I simply remove it in the fall or it'll get chewed up by the ice. Now the trick is to make the sections so you can sort of easily move them.

jim pod
02-23-2004, 08:48 AM
You know it's February when you walk the dog and see the local commercial fisherman trying to bust his way out of the ice to go catch some cod .... and a crowd of six people standing on the end of the town dock watching him do it.

Here's a couple shots from a grey day when the balmy breezes of May seem too far away to believe.

First is what happens when you build a new dock with 40 foot pilings instead of 60 footers.

Second is Wade Behlman turning the Jennifer Dan into an ice breaker.

For a second there I thought you might be spending too much time in the Kettle-Ho. It has been a long winter. Nice pic's ,I haven't seen the bay that frozen over in years.Only 54 days before I start poking around Loop.

luke
02-23-2004, 09:16 AM
..I guess my quahog rake is gonna sit fer awhile....

David Churbuck
02-23-2004, 09:43 AM
It's melting faster than you think. Open water to the town dock and just a big frozen chunk in the cove from Handy's to Lowell's Point.

Bob Parsons
02-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Like Dave said salt ice going fast. I bet you could clam next weekend. One of the town landings the open water was almost out to where some clams are found.

In a follow up to Dave's Dock picture, about half the slip pilings in the Barnstable harbor marina are pulled and knocked over.

At the ramp, so much sand, it might be too shallow to launch at a normal low tide.

luke
02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
..well next weekend it is....pulled the last ziplock of Hania's handi-dandy quahog stuffing from the freezer yesterday- so I got my marching (March-ing ?) orders...

BobG
02-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Quahogs for me this coming weekend! --127-3-
Ice will be gone, and so will I. --127-3-

Funny how things come full circle.
When I was young, I couldn't wait for ice on the ponds. Ice fishing was high sport in Worcester County in those days. (#$119)
Now, I can wait for the ice to melt b/c the cold suxs!