PDA

View Full Version : Some new offshore reels worth looking at

riptide
02-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Since I'm on the new Avet Pro Staff, I guess I should put this out. This was taken from another board. If you haven't seen the Avet reels in other sizes, your missing out! They are AWESOME!!!!! My 6 new 30 class reels are being custom anodized as I write this. There LX series casting reel should be perfect for SBFT, TONS of drag and a free spool on par with ANYTHING out there.

The end is near and release of Avet's newest offshore reels are only days away.
I don't know a dealer that hasn't ordered them sight (and price) unseen. Avet has announced the final price and the EX50 will be $489 while the EXW50 will run $539.

Specs for the EXW50 2 speed are...
950 yards of 50#
50+ lbs of drag at strike!!!
I stopped taking notes when he said that!!! I"m still shaking!!!

Well if that doesn't scare you... try this on for size. Avet has a 4 drag washer, turbo charged, 50W class size reel that will stop a train! Listen to this... 100lbs of drag!!! That's not a typo either!!! That's One Hundred pounds of drag!!!

Here's a snip from a local Cali annoucement...

"Their largest reel is the Pro EXW 50, designed to hold 100-pound test or more than a half-mile of 50 pound line. This reel is made for yellow fin cows, triple-digit blue fin, swordfish, marlin, sharks and the other sea monsters. It features push-button shifting two-speed retrieve and a dual-caliper pre-set lever drag capable of applying 55 pounds of fish-fighting force.

Set to debut at the Fred Hall Show in March is an as-yet-named Avet reel with four drag washers and two drag plates. Like the front disc brakes on a Porsche, these will stop a thousand pound fish on a screaming run. Most anglers will never need the top end braking capacity of the new reels, Harout Alajajyan said, but having a reel run at less than its drag capacity means it stays cooler and the drag is smoother.

The Avet drags are dry, without the grease some manufacturers add. All you have to do after fishing is dunk the reels in fresh water -- no disassembly is required, the brothers said

__________________________________________________ ____________

Avet EXW50, Avet Quad50 T-Rex, MX 2 Speed, Available late Feb. Stay tuned
The long awaited MX 2 Speed reels will be in around the end of February.

In addition to the MX -2's and EXW50 we will be introducing the AVET50 QUAD T-REX! This reel will rewrite the record books. Featuring 4 carbon fiber disc, dual calipers on each side of the spool, 2 floating titanium brake plates and a 2 speed ratio of 3:2-1, 1:3-1. This reel pulls a mind boggling 100 lbs. of drag at STRIKE and 120 lbs. at FULL, weighing in at 67 ounces, it's light enough for stand up, however with a drag like this, i would definitely recommend sitting down. Selling price will be a very reasonable $999.00, very inexpensive for a reel of this type. Line capacity will be 1000/50 mono, though everyone will spool with 130 lb.or heavier Spectra

AVET EXW50 will be available shortly. This 50 lb. class 6/0 reel will pull an astonishing 60 lbs. of drag. With a drag system this capable you can spool with Spectra and leave your 9/0 and 130lb class reels at home. Priced at $539.00 for the Wide, $489.00 Standard, this series will be an instant hit.

Copied from the Cabbage Key website.

This is the new reel

http://www.cast-aways.com/images/50proto.jpg

IFSteve
02-23-2004, 09:07 PM
So why the heck is that posted on a forum about flyfishing? :mad:

riptide
02-23-2004, 10:31 PM
So why the heck is that posted on a forum about flyfishing? :mad:

Steve this has been gone over time and time again. While the board is geared towards flyfishing almost everyone here fishes more than one way. this was put in the offshore forum since it's offshore related. I know of no one that goes offshore with ONLY a fly rod on board. Most guys are interested in the latest gear regardless of the style.

If your looking for Big Game offshore flyreels this site should be of more interest to you Hayden Reels (http://www.haydenreels.com/) They make some of the best lever drag big game fly reels on the world. Hope this helps.

Phishbones
02-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Terry, just figured I would say hello, on another board that I look through, they sure look like nice reels. Neil --127-3-

mdrew9
03-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Ok Mark calm down --126-3-

Terry you post whatever you want, we will just assume you are throwing huge eel flies. :-%
Mike

Jim Miller
03-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Here we go AGAIN!
"diversity breeds Stability" (a rule of Nature)

It's better to be diverse.......than unstable! --123-3
cheers brother :-% :-% ;)

Mark Cahill
03-02-2004, 08:37 AM
While Reel-Time is a saltwater fly fishing site, many of us do not fish fly gear exclusively. The forums are open for discussion on fishing topics. We're not going to be Purists in the way we moderate the forums, because, frankly, we'd miss out on a lot of good information.

We tend to go down this road every 5-6 months. General tackle discussion is okay...but this is a fly fishing site.

peter mac
03-02-2004, 10:04 AM
What about a light tackle/conventional forum? all its own.........just a thought

canyondiver
03-12-2004, 04:10 PM
When is Avet coming out with a fly reel?

riptide
03-12-2004, 07:04 PM
When is Avet coming out with a fly reel?

It's listed on their website along with spinning reels. I have not heard anything yet. I would say it's unlikely for this season. They just came out with a few new reels and their R&D is somewhat slow and methodical. I would think next spring would be a likely guess.

Animal Chris
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Mark, does this mean posting my Carolina Rigged Jug Line for Redfish would be a little off base?

GBurns
03-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Terry,

Which of the Avet's would say say is comparable to the penn int'l 30?

How about the 50 class?

Can you recommend a good rod to match these that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks, Greg

riptide
03-27-2004, 10:08 PM
GBurns,

The 4/0's are about the same as the Penn 30's. The EX-W 4/0 is a Wide version, like Penn offers. The 50's just came out and I have not seen them yet. I got (6) 4/0 EX-W's and I'm putting them on 5'6" Cape Fear standup rods. Any good 30-50 class rod should be fine. They take plenty of line and have huge drag numbers. I'm loading mine up with 500 yards of 80# Hollow Core Spectra and a topshot (150-200 yards) of 50# Momoi Diamond mono. 700 yards should be enough for anything around here!!! If your looking for some local call Steve at E Tackle (www.e-tackle.com )

carlpasha
04-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi all, my first post and I may get my head kicked in yet (figuratively, I hope, as I'm in the UK and y'all seem to be in the US) !
I'm that sad soul who only gets the chance, once a year for three weeks, to do the type of fishing you guys appear to do every evening after work and full time at weekends.
This October myself and the girlfriend will be revisiting the Bahamas. I am a hardcase fly-angler but she is not. I shall do lots of bonefishing daily until my brain cooks and blindness sets in, sunglasses notwithstanding. Then she and I will take the trolling/spinning/bottom-fishing gear, hop in the Sea Eagle inflatable and fish in every perverse, nasty, non-fly way known to man even including...shout it from the rooftops... HANDLINING !!! The missus calls it "kiddy-fishing" and it's great fun and gets some big fish.
You see, tho' the fly is my method I also have to ensure that my loved one is catered for as well, as I am sure do many who post on these forums.
If I can glean hints, tips and alternative methods for catching fish (yes, I do know it's not all about catching but she doesn't yet...) then I'm as happy as a pig in poo, so is she, and I get to do my flyfishing to my heart's content.
Don't knock the kiddy-fishing... it facilitates the important kind.