PDA

View Full Version : St. Kitts assisstance

sandeel9
02-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Headed there end of march. If anyone has some info./advice it would be greatly appreciated!

BobG
02-25-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm sad to say, the fishing opportunities are few and far between on St Kitts. We were there for a few weeks on both St Kitts and her sister island Nevis about 10 years back.
Since the island's origins were volcanic, it sort of rose from the sea. Therefore, there are no flats. Plus, like most southern Caribbean islands, it is hopelessly overfished.
The S/E penninsula of St Kitts is stunning! It has deserted, beautiful beaches where you'll be alone all day. A word of caution here, close the doors and windows on your car when at the beach. Both St Kitts and Nevis have roving troupes of vervet monkeys. They're really cute little guys, but they can be a real PIA! I left our jeep open one day while we were at the beach and returned to find it ransacked by the monkeys. They went through everything.

Both St Kitts and Nevis have beautiful rainforests. We climbed both Mt Nevis, and the major mountain (can't remember it's name)on St Kitts. There are several guides who will take you on the tour. Be advised, this is an all day thing. It takes about 4-5 hours to make the summit. During the way you'll see waterfalls, more monkeys, lush tropical setting, and often oppressing humidity.
Be careful if going out at night. St Kitts has some drug issues.

sandeel9
02-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Since it is volcanic, I didn't expect many flats. But, the beaches probably have something to shoot for, I would guess. I'll bring my gear and see what happens. Fishing will just be gravy for me; I'm going to mellow out mainly!