PDA

View Full Version : Which Is the Best Fishing Pliers?

Tim Wood
03-16-2004, 10:27 PM
I have been looking at two makes of fishing pliers Abel & Donnmar. Does anyone have any input about either of these pliers or maybe another make. I will be using them for both Salt & Freshwater fishing. Thanks!

canyondiver
03-17-2004, 12:59 AM
I like the Donmar myself.
The Abels are overpriced and my friend has had nothing but trouble with them.
You can fix the Donmar yourself and they don't charge you for anything other than the parts.
Why would you get pliers and pay someone exhorbitant prices to change the cutters for you? (#$119)
Jut my .03

mdrew9
03-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Go out and buy some VanStalls, the question you have to ask yourself in this situation is, How easy are they to replace when they are at the bottom of the sea? Just go out and buy a few pairs at Walmart or Sears. Spending $100-200 on a simple pair of pliers is absolutely rediculous. Its not like anyone is going to look at them anyway. OOOO he got the new new 2005 Donmars... Its your choice but seriously look back and ask yourself what your actually buying.

PhilS
03-17-2004, 08:44 AM
I've had no problem with a pair of the larger Abel pliers for 2 years. They are super light so you don't even know you have them when you're wading or after a long day on a boat. It appears to me you can change the jaws with a phillips head screwdriver. As for dropping them over, use a plastic keeper that comes with the pliers and sheath.

I have been looking at two makes of fishing pliers Abel & Donnmar. Does anyone have any input about either of these pliers or maybe another make. I will be using them for both Salt & Freshwater fishing. Thanks!

Ray
03-17-2004, 09:54 AM
This is just my opinion, but don't waste your $$ on pliers. I use $20 Dr. Slick pliers. Yes they are not extremely over priced like the Abels and others, but they do the same job. I keep one pair on my lifevest and another on my flats pack.

Like I said, just my opinion

Ray

vineyard fisher
03-17-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm with MDrew9 and Ray. I use $17 Stanley lineman's pliers.

scruffy_fish
03-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I like the Gerber multi tool plires, all stainless steel, compact, in a velcro locking pouch, and one hand operation to open. The new version has a longer nose and a carbide cutter for wire line. Really like the one hand locking open and closing feature. --127-3-

Mark Cahill
03-17-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a pair of Abels and they're great, but I knicked the wire cutter trying to cut something. I forgot them one trip and bought a pair of stanley needle nose pliers at the hardware store. For as often as pliers get replaced, I'm a stanley guy from now on. So what if you need a new pair every year or so.

make sure they've got a wire cutter on them, and they're long enough to get that fly from the back of the bluefish's mouth.

Pauper Piscator
03-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Tim,

Sonce you are using the pliers for FRESH and Salt, I am thinking Abels are overkill. If you were a hard core offshore guy cutting 300# mono and wire frequently, then spend the $$.

Otherwise, lots of Generic "Needle-Nose" men here. They have a point.

Bluefish especially have a favorite trick of flipping pliers out of your hand and into Davy Jone's locker.

For freshwater, unless you are on Salmon runs or major pike, a pair of hemostats (surgical clamp) is the way to go. Good for tying clinch knot on small flies too.

Tim Wood
03-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to thank all who took the time to put in their two cents worth I really apprecaite it. I will check out the Dr. Slick ones for sure and probably end up with one, at least for the time being.

msiler
03-17-2004, 10:02 PM
I second the Dr. Slicks!

thetroutmaster
03-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey, whatever you get, you should think about the holdzit sheath. I use one and it is something I would not be without on the water. It lubricates and protects against corrosion. My pliers have lasted for years. Cheap and attaches to your belt. Check it out http://www.holdzit.com You should try Cabelas. They make several plier models. I would go with the Dr. Slicks. Good luck in your search.

Mark Cahill
03-18-2004, 08:04 AM
I remembered that Stanley tried to move to the Bahamas last year to avoid paying US taxes, and was going to post that in this thread as a negative. But a closer check shows that they considered that, but decided to remain in New Britain, CT.

Personally, I am trying to avoid companies that are shipping jobs out of the US.

PeteV
03-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Geesh ...no Sears Craftsmen fans ... lately I've been on a Sears kick for tools. oh well.... I happen to have the Big Abel's and like them. The seem to resist gunking up and corroding. I use to use the regular H/W type pliers but due to my lack of discipline. I tend not to clean them and they rust up and the jaws stick .

In the boat my routine is: always have the hemostats tucked in the pocket for the routine stuff. Use the Abels for the tougher hook situations & cutting wire and heavier leaders (also the jaws on the fishing pliers seem to hold a hook nice).

I also Keep some heavy duty wire cutters tucked away at convenient spots in the boat ...Just in case a fish flips while I'm alone and get impaled. I want to cut the hook and get away from a big flopping fish. I've come close one too many times with some decent blues that have a way of suprising you. I came real close to trouble once while in my Kayak... ughhh... still freaks me out... the big ones are also pretty strong..imagine getting impaled by a 35+ inch blue and then flipping the yak. Thank god it was only a hook in a sleeve (which I could cut away). It really makes you rethink the whole unhooking procedure....the situation wasn't fly fishing but paddling around Jeremy's point trolling a big rebel. those big swimmers have a lot of hooks

Jay MacLaughlin
03-30-2004, 12:00 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Manley pliers yet. The knock on them is that they rust, but a yearly coating of Boeshield and regular freshwater rinsings and a shot of WD-40 and they go on forever. I've cut 6-0 trebles with the wire cutter and the grip is sure and solid. They're compact and they feel ergonomically "right" and strong to me. Thirty-five bucks. I've had one pair for ten or twelve years and just got a second with fancier handle grips. The cordura nylon and teflon holster with a belt clip is another six bucks and you're good to go.

peanuts
03-31-2004, 11:35 AM
Take a look at the Rapala Proguide Pliers 81/2" long, stainless steel, rubber grips and a shealth all for $16 what more do you need. --126-3-

Ray
03-31-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm tellin' ya, those low cost pliers do the job everytime. Doesn't hurt so much when the jump overboard either.

I just picked up another pair of the Dr. Slick ones.