PDA

View Full Version : Whites Sat. 4/17

ChuckD
04-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Well we headed out to Whites again in the canoe. I had bought a nice little anchor and line at a marine store that morning which would help with the wind. We got on the water around three and there were fish feeding occasionally primarily on midges but there were a few fat flying ants around which I think they were gulping as well. We both tied on buggers for the paddle/troll to the far side which was in the lee from the gusty wind. I immediately got a hit only 100 yards after we put in but didn't get a good hookset. My buddy had brought his AM radio so we had the Sox-Yanks game on with Schilling getting the W and later the B's game which was a disappointing loss. My buddy switched to a dry-dropper(midge pupa) set up while I kept on the bugger. I ended up getting the first fish on the bugger. Stocky 'bow around 13 inches. Released him. My buddy missed one on the dry. Drifted with the wind, slow trolling my bugger and got a big hit and then the fish peeled off a bunch of line on a couple of good runs. I could not move this fish. Dropped the anchor to stop drifting away from the fish which was going the opposite way. Heavy throb in my line suddenly quit as the hook pulled. Never saw it. Maybe a big holdover trout, maybe a broodstock Atlantic, maybe a big smally, dunno but felt heavy. Caught one more on the bugger before too many risers made me switch. Got a fish on the dropper midge pupa. As my buddy's unhooking it, his rod goes down as a fish ate his dropper which was still out there. Little bit of a fire drill but he ended up landing a fat 15-16 inch beautiful holdover rainbow for the double on the trout. At dusk we both landed 2 or 3 more each as the wind finally let up a little. Over all a decent day of trouting.

Johnny P.
04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Great report...sounded like a fun day. Long time no speak, hope all is well!

Done any striper scouting yet?

MKDeceiver
04-20-2004, 02:45 PM
There are big Brown trout in there! I lost one like that before getting one last Spring around this time. Around 3 lbs or so the fish was gorgeous...

About 60 feet from shore on the bottom with a big white crystal woolly bugger. Got her off one of the points.

Are the fish midging like crazy yet in the back bowl? That pond is amazing until all the junk fish get active...

ChuckD
04-20-2004, 03:02 PM
They haven't gone completely hawg wild on the midges when I've been there...but it's been too windy the times I've been there. My buddy Nat(First Light) was there a couple of Mondays ago and it was a little rainy and he said it was pretty much going off-I think they landed a dozen or so on dries. I know there are some big holdover fish in there and figured some of them have to be browns. One year they stocked it with browns and they were up in the shallows where we were doing well on buggers. Biggest I have landed was a solid 16 inch 'bow on a dry a few years ago out of the belly boat. But I have been snapped off and/or lost bigger.

ChuckD
04-20-2004, 03:04 PM
we only got one big sunfish out in the middle(the rest were all trout) so they haven't gotten overwhelming yet.

MKDeceiver
04-20-2004, 03:16 PM
I think Whites is one of those Mass Wildlife deemed Trophy BROWN trout water ponds. I think it's noted in the abstract, or used to be...

They stock the **** out of that pond and I love it, but the parking, junkfish, and fact it gets hammered discourage me more often than not when I fish it...

ChuckD
04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
whaddap dog-
I have not done any physical striper scouting but have been keeping tabs on the run as it makes its way norte. Heard the mouth of the Housatonic in CT has been better than ever(size and quantity of fish) and then heard yesterday that they have shown up pretty good in Naragansett Bay in RI. So keeping the fingers crossed that this warm weather holds(more or less) and brings them up here soon! My guess is there are fish following the alewives and herring up into the Charles although I don't like dealing with that circus if I can avoid it(up around the lochs). Before long we will have to hit it up!

bmik
04-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Nice report.....I've never been to White's but have been meaning to. How is it for float tubing?

Johnny P.
04-21-2004, 08:47 AM
ChuckD, Check your PM when you have a second.

MKDeceiver
04-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I checked the pond map...Whites was designated with 6 other waters as protected Brown trout water...

Check this out...http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dfw/Dfw_pond/dfwwhitc.pdf

I wonder what it is now...

I think I'm going tonight...>Today seems to be a very fishy day...