PDA

View Full Version : Duxbury 4/22

Johnny P.
04-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Fished the flats at the east side of the PPB on the outgoing last night from about 6:30-8:30. 5 mph winds out of the SSE...

Nothin' doin' for the first hour; strippin' a small grey/white clouser past the bridge pilings. The water was pretty cloudy...if there was bait in there at that time I wouldn't have seen it, nor was I kickin' any up.

Situation improved by 7:30 or so. Bait moved into the area and started scramblin' around the surface and while I was changing flies I saw my first swirls of the season and 4 or 5 aggressive surface pops!! Very exciting...It was great to see fish again. The rush only lasted 15 min. or so. I had one good bump, but sadly I never managed to hook up. As mentioned, the water was real cloudy so my best bait guess would be silversides...very small. There were 6 guys out there w/ similar results and they thought silversides as well. I used a small white deceiver, small olive/white clouser, grey/white clouser, surf candy silverside imitation...no dice.

Skunked, but not defeated. Good to get out and great to see fish again, especially this far up the coast this early! Good luck this weekend all!

JP

Ray
04-23-2004, 08:43 AM
JP,

Nice report. Don't be discouraged by the lack of hook-ups. Kind of hard to compete with a school of live bait. You had the right patterns. Won't be long now.

goodfly
04-23-2004, 08:59 AM
JP

I was on the bridge last night with my son. Couldn't fly fish with him. Right now he just has a trout outfit. He does well flyfishing in fresh water for trout and LM.

We were tossing a few meat sticks. Had one strike, was there till 8:30 PM. The area was real hot on Monday.

Tight Lines
Bill

PeterG
04-23-2004, 11:32 AM
No action on the west side of PPB last night, Thursday, from about 6:00pm to 8:ish. Looked to be about dead low tide. The up side, it was a beautiful night for this time of year, shirt sleeves and we were out there wetting a line.

Pete