PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day, Boston

CaptWayne
05-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Memorial Day 2004: What a difference a day makes! I had to cancel my charter on Saturday due to strong winds and rough seas. Although the wind was less on Sunday, it was still blowing pretty good and we had a tough time of it on the fly, especially around Theives Ledge where there were bass but also solid 3-4 footers! That didn't damper Ed Cohen's spirits who was mainly intent on learning how to fly cast in salt water. Needless to say, we spent a good portion of the trip practice casting in the lee of the wind. Today, my friend Gayna Hoffman joined me for her very first saltwater fishing adventure. The bass had showed just south of Boston in a big way feeding on large schools of herring and macks. Many anglers were boating fish in the 20-30 pound range with even bigger fish in the mix. It didn't matter if you were liveling, fly fishing or using a spinning rod. Needless to say, Gayna caught more fish than yours truly and larger fish to boot (or is that to boat?). Her big fish of the day was just shy of 30# fooled by a hand tied 1/2 oz jig with gray/lavender/white bucktail (what else) on 12# test. Best day of the season by far and hopefully these fish will stick around for a while.

Gayna's Big Bass! --127-3-

Yozuri-Man
06-01-2004, 08:55 AM
sure looks a little thin...?

Very nice catch regardless & on a hand-tied jig even better.

Ray
06-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Wayne,

Great report! Sometimes (frequently) less than great conditions (crappy days) make for great fishing.

Good to hear the haba and surrounding areas are continuing to pick up. I'm planning a camping and kayaking trip out there this weekend.

Ray

mdglaw
06-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Wayne I heard about those fish. Out by Minots?
we stayed in harbor and picked up a few fish. One was 29 inches, full of fight on 12# test and fresh with sea lice. He was nursed back and released. First trip of the season and to lazy to dig up fly tackle.
Mike

CaptWayne
06-02-2004, 05:35 AM
That fish actually looks smaller in the pic than the 18 pounder Gayna also caught and released. The big fish was between 25 and 30# on the Boga but it doesn't look it. Does it?

The school was of Minot's but there was another large school closer to the Graves.

Capt. Wayne :)