PDA

View Full Version : Reel-Time North Monomoy Claves June 12th & 19th

Ray
06-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Monomoy Reel-Time Trip

Annual Reel-Time Monomoy Adventure

Saturday June 12 & 19th

8:00am - 4:00pm

Come wade the famous flats of North Monomoy Island.
Sight fishing for early summer Striped Bass at its best.

Meet at Outermost Harbor in Chatham at 7:30 for the 8:00 Ferry ($20).
Link below has directions (about 40 minutes from the canal)
http://www.outermostharbor.com/

What to bring?
- Intermediate and/or light sinking fly line on 8 - 9 weight rods or light tackle
- small sandeel flies or small rubber baits like sluggos
- waders and appropriate clothing for the weather
- water and a snack (pack light as we will be covering a lot of water, wading)
- polarized glasses, compass, a hat, and sunscreen
- Cell phone (good for safety please leave it off, program in OMH #)
- some $$ if we transfer to South Beach via OMH ferry

Gather at The Chatham Squire after fishing for dinner, a few beers, and exaggerated fishing stories. Bring along additional "stuff" if you want to do some fishing at the end of the day. Some of us will be kayaking the Bathtub or surf casting South Beach after dinner.

Here's Who's Signed Up;
June 12th:
Patrick
Dave
Jay
Jacob
Duncan Talbot
Steve Smith
Sam
Shaun
Bob H.

June 19th:
Jay
Jacob & his brother
Bob F.
AT Grimaldi
Sam
Shaun
John P.
Bucko
Keith
Bob P

RJ
06-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Ray,

I'll be there and I'm Bringing a friend.

Bob Creeden

The friend is Rick Schawo or Union,NJ

Rick and I will be there on June 12th and I will probably stay for the 19th too.

Ray
06-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Bob,

I'm not bailing you out this time. Bring cash --125-3

Jacob K.
06-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Ray-

do we need to make our own ferry reservations, or have you taken care of that for us?
thanks
jacob

Ray
06-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Jacob,

The ferry is an on-demand, no set schedule service. They go when people are ready. Boats run from 8:00 - 4:00. There are 3 boats, with at least 2 running at all times. Of course the first few trips fill up early. I try to get there around 7:30 for the first boat.

Ray

But for an extra $10, I'll take reservations!!!!

Jacob K.
06-03-2004, 08:26 AM
But for an extra $10, I'll take reservations!!!!
will you reserve fish for that price too?

Ray
06-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Again, all taken care of!!!

Every fish I caught this weekend was released with a nicely printed and hand-addressed invitation to cruise the flats on the weekends we'll be there.

I told them about the free appitizers, barbless hooks, and no cover charge!!!

Hope to have a good turnout --127-3-

Johnny P.
06-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Oh man I can't wait for that weekend!! --127-3- --127-3- --127-3-

bones
06-04-2004, 08:12 AM
And what about dondkim? I've been looking forward to meeting him.

Dondkim, are you going to weanie-out on us?

RJ
06-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Cash! Cash! I ain't got no stinkin' CASH! (#$119)

Just make sure you bring the Reel-Time Faux Silver Pocket Watch with the guy fly fishing on it. ($8.98 + tax) You won last year with that sand shark painted to look like a striped bass. This years winner will be subjected to a lie detector test and fuzzy polaroid pictures will not be admitted. --126-3-

We have already enlisted the services of the Acurate Investigative Service to shadow your activities for a week before and after the 12th of June.

Bones,

Don Kim has a wedding that weekend, me thinks!

bones
06-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Don Kim has a wedding that weekend, me thinks!

A wedding this weekend!? WHAT?

BFD!!! So what!? Cancel it, We're goin' fishin'!!

Weddings and other frivolities are supposed to to be celebrated somewhere between hunting and fishing season. You know, in February or March.

JakeFF
06-05-2004, 07:34 AM
This is going to be a great trip..i can feel it. Looking forward to meeting all of you Reel Timers ..some of whom i have spoken with some not.
I saw extended weather thru next week end...and end of next week is suppose to be Hot Hot! See ya next weekend!

Bob H

bones
06-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Just checked the Chatham weather forecast for the weekend at 2 web spots...........mostly sunny, temps 70 degrees!! --127-3-

Gonna be near perfect!!

Ray
06-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Let's hope the forecast holds. Last year's trip started with rain and thunderstorms at 5:00. Having the sun makes a world of difference for sight fishing.

Jacob K.
06-09-2004, 11:04 AM
hey everyone-

Due to some unforeseen circumstances i am going to have to bail on this saturday's (the 12th) trip to monomy. i will definitely make it next week and look forward to seeing everyone. i hope that someone can fill my space.

jacob

notime
06-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Hey Ray,

Won't be joining you per say, but several of us kayakers will be out on Saturday and may hook up with you guys at the end of the day for a beer or two. Quick question, you mentioned in one of your earlier posts about these Monomoy trips that the tides were perfect both days. However, since they are one week apart the tides are essentially opposite for the same time of the day. Can you just clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Ray
06-09-2004, 01:07 PM
No problem,

On Saturday the 12th, high tide is at 0847. This means we can wade the water covered flats looking for fish. Then follow them into the cruising lanes

On Saturday the 19th, low tide is at 0744. This means we can move (to higher ground) with the flooding tide. Fish will be coming onto the flats hungry for a snack or two.

Ray

A bad tide, IMO is dead low at something like 1000

IronMike
06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
I'll be aiming for the 6/19 one! Hopefully, I'll be able to hit the target as this is the last weekend of Mr. Soccer/Baseball Dad! Who's kidding who... I love it. ;) Ideally, I'd be up for some more on 6/20 as I'll be on cape anyway... ANYONE? I don't like doing those flats alone, safety first.

bigcamel33
06-10-2004, 08:21 AM
Esteemed Moderator Ray - Am I too late to join Saturday's trip? Hope not, I've wanted to take part for years and finally I think I can make it work... --127-3-

bones
06-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Getting close, boys. I'm just about packed.

Need some info regarding Monomoy on Saturday, please.
How deep of water will we be wading?..kneedeep? waistdeep? variable? Do we just stand there and wait for them, or do we stalk? Size tippet?.....will 12# do?

Being a Texas hick, I'll be bringing my baitcaster also (never leave home without it) to chunk a few artificials............is 12# line OK...........will I need a shock leader?

Thanks

PAX
06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Hi Bones,

Only experienced Monommoy once. Was with Ray the day after the 2003 conclave. We covered a lot and I truly mean a lot of water. Had to wade up to waist in some area and walked a long distance against the tide in knee-deep water. We had a great outing but were extremely tired at the end of the day. We probably pushed the envelope in terms of distance covered but there is no guaranty that the fish will be in one place. If not we will have to move. We may have to walk a lot again this year. Personal lessons learned from last year: Only bring what is necessary. Pack LIGHT. Go through your fishing vest/bag and dump everything that you will not use on the flats. There are a few must bring. See Ray's recommendations in this thread. Your post implies that you may bring two rods at the same time on the flats. That could be a tough one unless you have the proper bag to carry the rod you are not using. That being said I am sure will make this a great outing for all of us regardless on how in shape we are. Packing light would just help. Hope that helps.
Will see you all on Saturday 12th. Can't wait. :)

Patrick

bones
06-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the info, Patrick. It is very helpful.

I am looking forward to meeting you.

I have an Aggie-engineered-modified-boat-rodholder attached to my wading belt into which fits either a baitcaster or flyrod, fully rigged and ready to go. The rod is on my backside and is angled ~45degrees laterally from my left side. Stays out of the way when the other is in use, and is ready for quick-draw if need arises. This is a great rig, if the fish are just outa flyrod range, I swithch to baitcaster, if they are an easy shot with a flyrod, I can make the switch in about 10 seconds.

Ray
06-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Bones,

We will be wading up to waist deep, but more frequently thigh deep. Of course at 5'-6" that's shallow water. Waders are a must IMO. The water is cold. Polarized glasses are also a must.

A baitcaster or spin rod is fine to bring along. Small sluggos or Fin-S on 1-4 - 3/8 oz jig heads are good. No jig head is best. White, olive, or any similar combo will work. 12# tippet is fine, no shock, flourocarbon is good to have though.

Ray

Ray
06-10-2004, 12:48 PM
See Ray's recommendations in this thread

Patrick

Patrick.......eat breakfast this time!!!!!! :)

JakeFF
06-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Ray...lite weight waders ok...or neoprenes? anyone meeting any place for breakfast that morning?

Bones...my wife laffed at your response to the other thread...about the emergency shut off switch.....she says to me..your going fishing with him this weekend?...laffs

looking forward to meeting all

Bob H

talbot3
06-11-2004, 08:30 AM
This had better be good, you Mass guys. Bones is coming up from
Tx and we are leaving Rhode Island fishing (two 20 lb stripers yesterday,
more 8-15 lb fish all last week, and a 10 lb squeaker too) to be in on this.
Will Ray cruise his kayak and hook em on for us?

CU tomorrow

Duncan

G-Man
06-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Oh baby!
The weather gods have smiled on us, eh!
It's almost time!

I'll be out with Notime in kayak.
Be looking for you mates on the flats or in the Tavern to share some lies....I mean stories. ;)
-Greg

bdowning
06-12-2004, 08:12 AM
I would suggest some wire as well. Hopefully you won't have to use it at all, but at times the blues were so thick at the Bathtub two days ago that every 10th cast resulted in a cutoff. Then again, I seem to attract bluefish like a magnet (#$119). They ADORE sluggos!

-bd

A baitcaster or spin rod is fine to bring along. Small sluggos or Fin-S on 1-4 - 3/8 oz jig heads are good. No jig head is best. White, olive, or any similar combo will work. 12# tippet is fine, no shock, flourocarbon is good to have though.

PAX
06-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Oh baby!
I'll be out with Notime in kayak.
Be looking for you mates on the flats or in the Tavern to share some lies....I mean stories. ;)
-Greg

Hi Greg,

Did you make it this Saturday or are you going next weekend? We were at the Squire around 4:45pm but did not see you guys

Thanks,

Patrick

notime
06-14-2004, 10:50 AM
PAX,

Greg is off fishing all week so I'll answer for him. We didn't get off the water until 7:00 so we never made it to the Squire. I figured you guys would be gone by the time we go to the Squire. I was also dead tired and had a two hour drive home so I just headed home. I am going to be done there this weekend with a hotel for Saturday night and will try to make it this time as it sounds like a lot of fun.

Note, see the other Monomoy post for details of our day.

AT Grimaldi
06-14-2004, 09:17 PM
I am soooooo excited for Saturdays event for a few reasons.

1. It will be great to finally meet other reel-timers in reel-life.

2. I have heard so much about Monomoy, but was always daunted by having to hire a guide to fish it, or so I thought.

3. This fishing is my favorite thing. Travelling lite, fishing with other obsessed fishers trying to figure the local sands and tides out - could there be anything better?

I will be bringing my light spinning gear and the following:

1 9' custom lamiglass built for light tackle
1 Penn 4500 with Fireline
15# Seagar fluorocarbon leader material
50# Seagar fluorocarbon leader material
breathable waders with belt and pliers
polarized sunglasses
hat
sunscreen
cell phone in waterproof bag
water
lunch/snack
small belt pack with a few pencil poppers, a few tins, tsunamis etc. light gear.
small belt pack with sluggos, 6" arkansas shad, pink etc and 4" Fins in shad.
1/4 oz and 3/8 oz lead hads for sluggos
hooks for sluggos
spyro barrel swivels
small snaps
compass
whistle
Muhh-nnneeeeee
Possible fleece vest and overcoad
Possible raincoat

Am I missing anything?

Looking forward to seeing you all there. --127-3-

BTW - The thread says 8 PM. Is that correct? What day and when are we meeting for reel.

Also, Is there anyway we could let the powers to be what reel-time gear we wanted to buy and you could bring it?

AT Grimaldi.

Johnny P.
06-15-2004, 08:37 AM
oh man...conditions are starting to look better & better for saturday!! Mostly sunny/70 Degrees/7 mph S-SE winds. I cannot wait..I'm going (#$119) !!!!

Ray
06-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Here's all the info again for Saurday the 19th. Meet at OMH at ~7:30 all the details are below.

Monomoy Reel-Time Trip

Annual Reel-Time Monomoy Adventure

Saturday June 19th

Fishing 8:00am - 4:00pm

Come wade the famous flats of North Monomoy Island.
Sight fishing for early summer Striped Bass at its best.

Meet at Outermost Harbor in Chatham at 7:30 for the 8:00 Ferry ($20).Bring some $$ if we transfer to South Beach in the afternoon ($7.50 transfer fee, can be paid upon return to OMH)

Link below has directions (about 40 minutes from the canal)
http://www.outermostharbor.com/

What to bring?
- Intermediate and/or light sinking fly line on 8 - 9 weight rods or light tackle
- small sandeel flies or small rubber baits like sluggos
- waders and appropriate clothing for the weather
- water and a snack (pack light as we will be covering a lot of water, wading)
- polarized glasses, compass, a hat, and sunscreen
- Cell phone (good for safety please leave it off, program in OMH #)
- some $$ if we transfer to South Beach via OMH ferry

Gather at The Chatham Squire after fishing for dinner, a few beers, and exaggerated fishing stories. Bring along additional "stuff" if you want to do some fishing at the end of the day. Some of us will be kayaking the Bathtub or surf casting South Beach after dinner.

Ray
06-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Am I missing anything?

AT Grimaldi.

I don't think I even own that much stuff!!!!

Sounds like you have it covered.

For everyone: Try to minimize what you carry. For example, if there is no chance of rain, don't carry a jacket. But I like to dress warm in the morning. Though the air may be warm, the water is cool and will make you colder than when your standing on the dock. A couple guys last week went out with ss shirts and were cold. I typically wear a long sleeve shirt and fleece vest with fleece pants under my waders. The vest can easily be packed behind me in my waders on my back out of the way.

Be prepared to walk alot. We covered nearly 7 miles last week. That's a lot in the water and soft sand (bring Advil). Everything I need is in one fanny pack. Water and food are critical. At least one large water bottle and a temperature stable snack like a bagle or peanut butter sandwich work well. Beef Wellington and grilled scallops are out!!! Eat a good breakfast too.

A hat and sunglasses are also very important. No shade out there. Squinting can lead to a headache quickly.

Hey we may not catch anything, but we'll have fun and look good doing it.

AT Grimaldi
06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
At the risk of looking like an idiot - that will taken care of for me this Sat - are we meeting at 0730 AM or 1930 PM?

AM seems to make sense to me, but PM is referenced twice above.

Help!

I am going crazy with anticipation. (#$119)
I can bring a digital camera as well.

- AT

Ray
06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
sorry about the typo everyone

7:30 in the morning

look for a red ford escape and a short italian guy

Jacob K.
06-16-2004, 08:57 AM
you guys bringing yaks down, is it safe to leave my boat unlocked on my car roof for the day while we fish?

Ray
06-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Jacob and all,

Your yak will be fine in the OMH parking lot. I'm not bringing my yak. Saturday will be a long day. But paddling around the bathtub would be a good after a post fishing meal. High is at 2:23. I am thinking this could be a great day for the group to start on NM and transfer to SB in the afternoon.

An all-out day would be hit NM at 8:00. Tranfers to SB around 3:00, fish the BT on a dropping tide (my fav), spend some time on the ocean side, then walk back to OHM at sunset!!!!! That's my typical day in Chatham (oop, SE flats).

Ray

jsocia
06-16-2004, 12:28 PM
I would like to sign up, how would I do so?

Ray
06-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately this trip is full. We need to keep the # of people down as to not over run the area. There’ll be other trips like this one.

Bob Parsons
06-16-2004, 01:38 PM
He can have my spot, now that the motor is running well, I have to make up some trips I take with friends.

Markymark
06-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Went to South Beach today,and boy,the fishing was terrible!!All I got for my efforts was 2 blues ! and they chewed the flies right off the tippets. So,as it goes ,I put on the wire ...no fish..nada!! :mad: Then I thought: remove the wire,figuring the bass are wire shy.... Guess what?another blue! another fly gone! Could not buy a hit today.The wind was no help either.One final note that saved my day was.. I just cannot get enough of the Cape,I have a very hard time heading back to the other side of Boston,but I know South Beach will be there when I need a place to play hooky from WORK ! --127-3-

FishHawk
06-17-2004, 05:45 AM
The North East winds for a couple of days has not helped much but a moon tide is coming up. One thing that I have learned ,if you go to Monomoy expecting great numbers of fish this is not the place for you. However, any fish you get out there you have earned it. Enjoy the challange. Tight lines.
FishHawk

Markymark
06-17-2004, 07:44 AM
In the years past,I have caught more than my share of stripers,and also have seen many swim past me. I only saw 2 small schools of stripers between 12 and 1 pm,and also those SEALS are not helping it either! Just might have to go back another day (mid-week).

Mark Cahill
06-17-2004, 08:13 AM
I've had many occassions where I was on a flat very close to the seals and had school after school of stripers come through. The seals would usually hang on the edge of the channel waiting for strays, and whenever one did come up on the flat, the stripers would scatter.

I guess I don't think the presence of seals affects the fishing as much as some might think.

Ray
06-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Seals are like birds, they're both looking for something to eat

Ask Joe, Sam, Patrick, and Shaun what they thought of the seals Sunday ;)

Markymark
06-17-2004, 09:21 AM
There could have been many reasons why the fishing was off yesterday,but we can't be lucky all the time :) That's it for now,just going have to wait until I go back next time.

jsocia
06-17-2004, 10:48 AM
"He can have my spot, now that the motor is running well, I have to make up some trips I take with friends."

Thanks Bob, do I need to sign in somewhere, or do I just meet up at the location?

Ray
06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Just show up at OMH around 7:30 - 7:45. This is one of those events where few of us have met each other, so look for me at my Red Ford Escape and introduce yourself.

Ray

JakeFF
06-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Have a great trip there this Saturday...im sure you will even if you don't catch a thing its a great place to see and visit. And going with Ray...and Shuan, you will have a good time...they are a lot of help and know the area well.
My buddie Jim and I are heading over to the Vinyard this Sunday .....so hopefull the bite will be on there.

Have a great time..be safe

Bob H

AT Grimaldi
06-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Hello all.

I will be in a silver Pathfinder with outerbanks style rod rack on the front and diving Stickers on the back. I will be easy to spot as I will have my Orvis Trident in one hand and my spinning rod in my other pulling my hair out AKA Chris Farley-style in TommyBoy trying to figure out what to leave.

I am looking forward to it. --127-3- --127-3- --127-3- --127-3- --127-3-
AT Grimaldi.

bigcamel33
06-19-2004, 06:29 PM
Indeed - last saturday we found some accomodating stripes off SB, nicely penned in by about a dozen seals. The seals kept their distance, and seemed to keep the fish close to shore. Although I only hooked up with a few, it was a memorable scene (ray had a great perspective). That underwater pic on the homepage was one of Shaun's fish - taken in maybe two feet of water. Hope you guys got after 'em good today, bummed I had to miss it.