PDA

View Full Version : jacques pepin and a plate full of schoolies

MatthewP
06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
So I'm winding up the day yesterday, watching PBS around 9 pm. Cooking shows. Lydia's Italian Kitchen and Jacques Pepin Celebrates. Lydia makes a calamari dish. Strikes me as a little too creepy to eat. Jacques comes on and whips up a striped bass dish using fish that are obviously schoolies. I don't know where the show was taped, or anything about size limits outside of Mass and RI. With all of the focus on conservation, it seems pretty irresponsible to go on national television whip up a delicious dish with fish that by most standards are too small to keep. What gives?

Jacob K.
06-11-2004, 10:50 AM
three thoughts

1. could they have been farmed fish?
2. could they have been FW striped bass?
3. i have seen wild striped bass for sale at whole foods from down south not much bigger than 20" or so.

Mark Cahill
06-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Jacques went down to the fish market and bought some farm raised fish. I doubt he was out at Airport Flats getting his own.

Bigger thing is shows like American Chopper, where they show Paul Sr. dehooking a close to legal striper with a pair of size 11 engineers boots.

MatthewP
06-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Didn't realize there was such a thing as farm-raised stripers. Only striper farms I've seen involve an outgoing tide and lots of baitfish. :brow

peter mac
06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Hey Matt,
Stripers are farm raised all through the south, form Texas to S.C. .......They have also been successfully distributed in 100s of fresh water lakes down south.......If someone talks of great striper fishing in the deep south/gulf it is usually in the sweetwater, lakes/rivers. I went to grad school 15 yrs. ago in S.C. and they already had stripers in lake Marion right outside Columbia, and would take large stripers in the river on the edge of town, 120 miles from any saltwater.

Peter Mac

MatthewP
06-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Peter. Hey, could you give me driving directions to some of these farms, and let me know when the night watchman is off duty? I've been working on a new food pellet fly that I've been anxious to try. --125-3

mfreliech
06-11-2004, 08:16 PM
I ate a farm raised striper grilled whole at the Pier 5 japanese restaurant in Baltimore last night...delicious. My aquarist friend from the National Aquarium pulled a list out of his wallet which identified which fish should and shouldn't be eaten (from a conservation standpoint). The farmed raised striper was on the recommended list, the chilean sea bass (also a special last night) was a no-no.

MikeF

bugger
06-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Jacques Pepin is a great chef. I love watching him. Was the bass recipe worth repeating?

mikeinScituate
06-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Ive read a lot about the process of farm raised fish....most of it isnt the best to eat. They arent eating the natural foods they are used to.

About a year ago When reading...but if i remember correctly large boats go out to sea and catch small baitfish and grind them up into pellets and feed them to the salmon and other baitfish...So they are depleting the population of baitfish that are an important part of the food chain for other fish to feed these fish raised on farms....

So you know.... A lot of the farm raised fish isnt that good to eat (health wise)...

Kinda ruins the fun of catching trout in stocked ponds.....sure its fresh....but its been raised on a farm....

P.S. The farm raised salmon fillets are actually white!! because of the farm diet....so the people in charge add a pink/reddish color dye to the fish pellets so that the fillets will be pink/reddish in color......so it looks natural...

mike

BobG
06-11-2004, 11:56 PM
I pelletized food which is fed to the farm raised salmon in what's causing the farm raised salmon industry problems. Farm raised salmon are selling for $4.99 a pound. Wild anywhere from $9.99 to $14 a pound.
I wonder if the food fed to farm raised bass will eventually lead to problems in this industry? :confused:

AlderBrookFarm
06-12-2004, 06:25 AM
Just recently there has been lots of hub-ub about the farm raised fish having higher levels of pollutants in them than the wild ones. Our daughter that is an aquaculturist...not practicing yet...was telling us last week that the recommended serving of farm raised salmon is 1/4 serving a month. Scarey. A big thing in Aquaculture right now is raising fish for the aquarium industry. One of her friends from UMaine has finally been successful at raising Clown Fish (Nemo) and it's caused quite a stir because they went through a very long process to get there. First they wouldn't breed in captivity, then they got them to breed but the eggs didn't survive, then eggs but larvae didn't make it......finally the jackpot. Prior to this all clown fish came from the reefs and there was usually damage to the reef.

MatthewP
06-14-2004, 09:24 AM
I'd repeat the recipe, Bugger, but not being inclined in the way of culinary arts, it's all greek to me. Looked something like this: man filets bass, puts some stuff on it, cooks it. I must say, though, it looked pretty good at the time. I had the same thought about food pellets and PCB's. probably the same food that farm-raised salmon are fed. It's a bummer. I love salmon. We can only have it when wild salmon is in season (and then have to re-morgage the house for one meal). I thought I had an answer for this problem: bring tons of salmon back from yearly trip to Pulaski (would also serve to justify fishing habit). Wrong answer. Those fish are full of mercury. What's it coming to?

Slappy
06-14-2004, 02:27 PM
whips up a striped bass dish using fish that are obviously schoolies

Were these fish broiled or poached? ;)