PDA

View Full Version : Canal report 19 + 20...GOOD!

bb1
06-20-2004, 07:02 PM
We got there thurs. but didn't fish untill fri. night (sat. morning) because of the rain...nailed 3 nice fish the biggest 32" on big rubba'.......Sat. was even better again 3 nice fish with a 36" and a REAL fat 38" that was screaming line of my reel, and the drag was set very heavy.

The key to catching these fish was to fish the fastest part of the west tide, out in the rip's...I didn't get a hit at the end of the drift or on the retieve as usuall.
At some times I was getting multiple bumps on most every cast.
I got most of my hits after letting some line out when I wasn't feeling bottom any more.

This was almost as good as last sept. and Oct.!
The 38"er had one whole and a 1/2 lobster in its gut along with half a dozen crabs.......so keep your bait on the bottom.

My fishing buddy even cought his first fish of the year (a nice fat 32") fri. He eats them so we filled up the cooler this weekend w/ 4 nice fish...once we got the heads and tails off.

Later about 4am the guys next to me cought 1 fish each day using Bucktails or eel skins.......but nithing could touch big rubba'!

BobG
06-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Hey, Great report!

Looks like I need to start throwing big plastics (was hoping I could hold off 'till July :brow ).

bb1
06-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Thats not all Bob...fri. night I hooked a real nice one, screaming drag 3-4 times, then close to shore by line (50lb. Super Braid) snapped. When I finally reeled in my line I found that my 40lb. snap was bent straight!

Looks like I need 50 or 60lb. snaps for now on.

JimK
06-21-2004, 12:22 PM
40 lb snap. That's way to small. Use a 100lb I think that's a size 3.

Very nice report. I wish I was there. Haven't been to the canal yet this year. I'll be going soon.

I find it odd that the fish were in the fast current. I thought they usually don't like the fast stuff. Just goes to show that you never know and should also try different techniques.

bb1
06-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Jim, I started using the 40lb. snaps so they would 'give' before the 50lb. braid...in case I got a bad hangup and couldn't break the line off...I also had the drag way tightened down for these fish in the fast current...a little TOO much!

I make it a point to go down the Canal on moon and no-moon nights for big fish...most of the other fishermen start showing up when it's all over for me...and where draging fish home...lol.

BobG
06-21-2004, 03:33 PM
I use #65 braid, which is overkill IMO. I fish the #65 braid, a #50 mono leader, and a very heavy snap (don't know exactly what weight the snap is since I bought them in bulk years ago.) But, this combo is heavy enough to roll over, and drag lobster traps when I occasionally hang up on one. :rolleyes:
My next investment is to spool up with some #50 Stren braid and give that a whirl in the next week or so.

jettyjockey
06-21-2004, 04:03 PM
I find it odd that the fish were in the fast current. I thought they usually don't like the fast stuff. Just goes to show that you never know and should also try different techniques.

the current speed throughout the whole water column is not the same. frictional forces act on the water where it comes into contact with the canal bottom and greatly reduce the speed of the current. the surface of the canal could be moving at 5 knots while the zone within 2-3 feet of the bottom might only be moving at 1 knot. when your jig feels like its roaring through the rip, its actually being dragged that fast by your line higher up in the water column. thats why you want your jig on the bottom as much as possible.

btw, i had a feeling about this weekend but i've been fighting this awful head cold since thursday night and couldn't hit the 2 am tides that i usually fish... --124-3

as for braid, i've dropped down to 30lb stealth and it works fine. that stuff is way underrated anyway.

glassguy
06-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Got tired of snaps failing due to wire fatigue and went to Breakaway clips (50# and 80# available). Boy, are they great. Simple and fool proof with no metal fatigue.

Bob

BobG
06-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Typically, during the hot summer months, I have my best results at night on the fastest stages of the tide. I'm often amazed fish that big will feed in such running water.
This is where the thin diameter of braid really comes into play. It allows the heavy jig to sink at a very fast rate, and the lack of stretch really helps you maintain contact with the bottom/lure. :cool:

bb1
06-21-2004, 10:45 PM
My #1 reel has 40lb. Stren Super Line on it (I'll never use Stealth again), but I bought my buddys reel last weekend w/ 50lb. Stren and was trying it out.

The small Breakaway snaps are to hard to get on a jig eyelet so I went back to regular snaps 40 + 50lb.

I don't use a leader at all, so I may just start tying direct...I only use the snaps to change jig weights to the current. In fact, I spend too much time tying on snaps only to loose the jig anyway...LOL.

bb1
06-21-2004, 10:53 PM
Another reason I lost that fish and bent the snap was that the reel had the stock Abu drag washers, and as we all know they stick...I just finished changing them to 'smoothie' drag washers (and laped the steel wahers), so I'll be ready for another COW next time out!

BobG
06-21-2004, 11:33 PM
bb1,

Interesting comment. You don't use a leader, but tie direct. I've never tried that with braid. I'd love to be able to eliminate using the mono leader, and tying dierctly to the braid.
But, don't you think there's a chance the bass might see the braid? But then again, #50 mono isn't all that invisible,, now is it?

pclaus01
06-22-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't use braided line tied direct in lighted conditions (except occasionally trolling deep or jigging up cod), but I've had success at night with braided tied direct in the canal and off the beach. I'd be interested to hear if anybody has experienced a drop-off in their success rate by fishing braided at night w/o the leader?

Conveyor Man
06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
I saw a show where a guy fishing for huge largemouth bass was using braided line to horse the big fish out of heavy cover. He would color his line with indelible markers, green and brown, in small stripes to break up the look of the line. I set up an old reel and rod with some braided line I was given but was getting into saltwater fly fishing at the time and never really gave it a fair test. It certainly camouflaged the look of the line but I canít really speak to its effectiveness.

BobG
06-22-2004, 09:07 AM
A big downside to tying direct IMHO is losing the purposely created "weak spot" the leader gives you. As I mentioned above, I primarily use #65 braid, with a #50 mono leader. The leader is more than strong enough for anything I'll run into in the canal, but it give me a weak spot in the highly unusual event should I hang up ;) (#$119) . Without, that #65 braid just isn't going to break.
I watched a fellow board member hang up last fall with a jig he tied direct. He pulled, and pulled, and pulled some more. He was across the service road at one point, and I actually thought we'd simply have to cut the line. Finally, the 6/0 stainless jig hook straightened out, and he got his jig back.

Slappy
06-22-2004, 09:22 AM
I agree with your point on the weakest link. Otherwise when snagged you risk breaking the line somewhere between your reel and the jig. And if it is at the reel, you have to buy new line!

I also prefer working with the mono--easier to tie good knots. Back in the beginning days of superlines, knot strength was very bad--especially when tied direct. Contact with the bottom and structure would weaken the knot to the point where jigs would literally fall off. The lines are much better now, but I am still protective of my knots.

JimK
06-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Good point about the weak link. I use mono so I didn't think about that. I'm planning on trying the super line this year so now I know I should use a mono leader.

Yes. Night time is the right time in the canal. Early morning sun up is highly over rated IMO and highly populated with two legged land creatures.

bdowning
06-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Would that be me? (#$119) :brow

I've tied direct in a pinch when I forget leader material, but have generally been using 50 lb mono leaders for the past two years. I think in the Canal at the depths and currents we are fishing, visibility of line or leader doesn't really spook bass unless it is FAC conditions at slack tide in gin clear water (and how often does that happen in the Ditch?). As for breakability, I think braid, even 65 lb, breaks more easily than 50 lb mono if it is running over the edge of a rock under high tension. But if the jig gets between two snags, or worse hooks into a heavy trap held fast to the bottom, and the braid above it doesn't contact anything rough or jagged, you are in for a hook straightening time of it. In the latter situation, which is less common I think than line contacting rocks directly, I think equivalent lb test mono will break before braid.

-bd

I watched a fellow board member hang up last fall with a jig he tied direct. He pulled, and pulled, and pulled some more. He was across the service road at one point, and I actually thought we'd simply have to cut the line. Finally, the 6/0 stainless jig hook straightened out, and he got his jig back.

bb1
06-22-2004, 01:12 PM
I haven't tied direct yet...as I said, I always used the snap as a "weak" point (and to change jigs). If I have a 'bad' hangup where the hooks tip hang's on something or I hook a lobster pot or something similar you need that "weak" point. Usually (super) braid breaks like a hot knife through butter when its on the rocks, NO abrasion resistance...thats why I kind of horse them in w/ braid.

I thought a 40lb. snap w/ 50 or 40lb. Super Braid would be OK...but there seems to be some VERY large stripers in the canal this year.

bd got me started not using a leader, but later said he uses one in the canal. I never use a leader now and hook up as much or more than those who do @ night...after all stripers hit umbrella rigs!
Mono/floro leaders have no use IMHO, and are a pain to put on when your hanging up.

bdowning
06-22-2004, 01:36 PM
That's ok Bill, I go back and forth on this stuff all the time myself :rolleyes: , and there is no set answer. Like I said, the weak point has as much to do with what you are hanging up on as what you are hanging up with, if that makes any sense. Sometimes I think that what is more convenient and makes you more confident is the real answer, despite what the fish "think" ;)

-bd

bd got me started not using a leader, but later said he uses one in the canal. I never use a leader now and hook up as much or more than those who do @ night...after all stripers hit umbrella rigs!
Mono/floro leaders have no use IMHO, and are a pain to put on when your hanging up.