PDA

View Full Version : Glow in the Dark???

ruge13
06-24-2004, 10:51 AM
I have a few flies hanging on a picture fram in my apartment. Never noticed this before, but when I shut off the lights the pearl krystal flash I used glows bright in the dark..I really don't know how I never noticed that before(#$119) .

Anyway, do any of you purposely use GLow in the dark materials in flies? Maybe for flies that go deep? Flies you meant to fish at night? Any reviews? Hesitations?

Mattb
06-24-2004, 11:13 AM
I actually had this idea a few years ago and managed to find some glow in the dark flash somewhere online. I tied up a few pretty good looking flies with it. Unfortunately, looks were about the only thing the flies had going for them. They fished ok during the day, but at night the glow flies were handily outfished by regular flies.

maineguideman
06-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Yea same for me I found this glow in the dark tape in sheets like the prism mylar tape I tied some Big eye baitfish patterns and replaced the prismatic mylar tape called for in the pattern with the glow in the dark stuff. They looked great but they never caught any fish. I find a big black deciever is my best fly for night fishing

Slappy
06-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I have used glow in the dark plastics at night and in very deep water with very little success.

I recently bought some jigheads that didn't look glow in the dark but were. I didnt find out until after I caught a lot of fish on them. They haven't hurt my catch, but I don't know if they have helped either.

detra
06-25-2004, 03:24 PM
I read somewhere, maybe here, that jungle cock eyes are luminescent.

Squidly
06-25-2004, 03:35 PM
I have some glow in the dark squid jigs that work well for jigging up squid. I saw a guy on Lobsterville beach one night with what I thought was a light saber. Tinred out he had glow in the dark line. This stuff was really bright. I can't believe it didn't scare scare off fish. He said it worked well because he used long leaders. go figure

Slappy
06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
One day when I was at the library looking for Economics Journals, I came across the Journal of Bioluminescence. A real scientific journal--I had no idea that it was a field of study.

Actually it would probably have some articles that would give a fisherman ideas....

OLDGEORGE
06-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I fish a glow in the dark fly at dusk as I believe it extends that last light flurry of hits but change at full darkness.
Incidentally I carry an old flash attachment to activate the fly before using as light intensity creates a better glow.

ruge13
06-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Interesting....

Maybe this is one of those conventional wisdom "rules" that people break. I always associate Fire in the water with bad fishing. From no real observation of my own, just what I have been told. Kind of seems counterintuitive to me because many of the baits we imitate in the summer actually feed on it. So I would think if there ws a lot of it around, Bass would be soon to follow. What led me to that conclusion was how offshore guys use lights to attract bait, and larger predators in turn. Thats what got me thinking about it after I saw the flash light up. If I was a bass, I would head towards the light, I might not live past 10lbs but I would go.

Might have to test this one out a bit and see what I get. I will tie up a couple more and let you know what happens.

detra
06-29-2004, 10:47 AM
As to the fire in the water rule...

One time I was eel fishing at night in pleasant bay. we were heading back to our mooring when we noticed phosphorescent trails in the water. We stopped and fished and nailed the bass. apparantly the spooked bass were disturbing the plankton and causing bioluminescent trails.

I also notice that many of the sluggo jig heads now "glow in the dark". Anybody have any experience with these?

ruge13
06-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Along those lines...three years ago mid fall when there was a solid push of Pnuts around Winthrop I was out in my kayak after dark. I was able to find schools of peanuts and feeding bass by watching the water light up in areas. Just about one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Other than fishing under lights, thats about the only other time I have been able to fish by sight at night over any real distance. You could see patches of water start to glow like crazy from a hundred feet away.

kingfisher
07-03-2004, 10:43 AM
I've got a small amount of phosphorescent pigment powder from a friend. It can be mixed into epoxy. I saw my friend making head of a black deceiver with this epoxy for night trout fishing. I don't know how successful he was with this fly. I am planning to use this powder for some patterns. One good thing is that this kind of pigment glows while only after it was illuminated with light (such as flash lights). If it is not illuminated, the glow discharges and the fly becomes just an ordinary one.

Saltydog
07-07-2004, 10:03 PM
GLOW IN THE DARK, yes I have 3 pack of Orange an Chartruce, an HAVENT done a thing with yet, thanks for reminding me.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN --127-3-