PDA

View Full Version : phosphorescence effects Fishing?

Lucky
07-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Was out the other night and had fish feeding all around me but couldn't get them to take anything. There was a lot of phosphroescence in the water, wich was coming off not only my flies but the line as well...leaving a very noticble line in the water. Was wondering what R-Timers thoughts were on how this might effect fishing. Has anyone ever done really well with a lot of phosphorescence in the water?

Fish and bait do not effect these organisims the way lines and lures do so it must look unnatural to the fish...that that is just an assumption. Maybe the bass can't really see it but I find that hard to believe as well.

experiences?

ruge13
07-14-2004, 11:05 AM
This came up int he tying forum too. Interesting stories.

http://reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38038

I haven't made up my mind yet, I have had mixed results.

Jacob K.
07-14-2004, 11:52 AM
sailing in the pacific ocean a few years ago, just off of galapagos, middle of the night, along come 4 torpedoes that are bright green. they aim right at the bow and start ridding our wakes. nothing cooler than glowing green dolphins. zigzagging all over the bow leaving 20feet of green streaks behind them.

TonyO
07-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Nothing like seeing a big green flash in the water, then a thump on your eel sitting still on the bottom. Set the hook andyour line lites up like a green laser beam.Usually gotta go real lite and slow in these conditions.

PeteV
07-14-2004, 05:34 PM
you're not using it to your advantage. Some nights when I was getting snubbed bad Iwould regroup & sit on the beach and watch the waves on the dark nights. you could see every now and then a green streak in a wave or between the waves as a fish would zip through. I would then make a cast in the area ... every now and then that would result in a strike.

The only place this worked for me was off of Coastguard beach in Eastham.