PDA

View Full Version : Scale Collection Data / MA Marine Fisheries..

ruge13
07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
So RT has a few people signed up to collect scales. I spoke to Kristen Ferry yesterday, she informed me that she recieved scales from 6 out of 18 people.

70% never responded? 70% not fishing? 70% Not catching?

So I did some math...here is how I am rationalizing this...

12% forgot a knife to scrape scales the last 2 months.
15% forgot the envelopes on the water
6% lost the stamp to mail them and couldn't find a post office or an ATM to get them
8% sent the envelopes to the CT or RI marine fisheries and Stripers Forever
10% had boat problems, or forgot how to get to thier shore spots
10% lost every fish they hooked because they were tryng for IGFA 2 lb leader records
6% lost the address to send them and forgot its on the Conservation forum
3% Drowned and never came back

Seriously, what happened?? We commited to this and no response?

Slappy
07-20-2004, 01:11 PM
The lowly baitshop boy has done his part. July's envelopes are drying out still, but May & June are sent in.

I haven't been able to work out an efficient method for handling everything in the yak. My scale scraper, measuring tape, pencil, flashlight, envelope--I always can't find one. I am from the land of the easily confused!

SamRiley
07-20-2004, 01:14 PM
I've got my scales but still need to send them in. I'll get off my butt this week and hit the post office for sure.

tsheehy
07-20-2004, 01:39 PM
If its any easier for you to carry, a pair of tweezers makes it very easy to collect the scales - and you only take what you need.

-- Tom

Skunk Buster
07-20-2004, 01:50 PM
insufficient data set :rolleyes: Only caught two stripers so far this year. Just haven't been able to get on the water...sorry Ruge, I shouldn't have signed up.

BobG
07-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Unfortunetly, I never even signed up, since i essentially forgot about it 10 minutes after it was discussed months ago. I have the attention span of a puppy dog sometimes.
Sorry, I screwed up... :mad:

aws
07-20-2004, 03:43 PM
I botched May and am waiting to send the rest of mine in one envelope at the end of the season.

ruge13
07-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Don't forget if you only have a couple fish, send them in anyway, its better than nothing. I wasn't trying to to discourage anyone from signing up or sending in what they had. Every little bit helps. I guess I should have been a bit more optomistic and tried a different motivational approach. She said that the 30/70 statistic was actually a good response. Typically she sees less. That surprised me.

I guess I had higher expectations than a 30% return from RT because we spend most winters and into the seasons complaining about fish stocks, management, and most of all statistics that organizations use to represent the stocks, etc. I thought that since we had the oportunity to kick in our share to the stats (we get our own packaged RT statistics out of this as well) that managers might be using to make the decisions we complain about, that people might have a vested interest. Kind of putting our money where out mouth is. I was just surprised we were 30% money and 70% mouth.

I had higher expectations, more like the other way around 70/30. Kristen might have been satisfied with that return, but I wasn't, I was a bit embarassed actually because she was very excited to have us on board and was going out of her way to make our statistics separated as well as part of the total collective.

Having said that, assuming we have a 10 person response every month until October, that is still 600 fish at the end of the season. Thats a pretty good number.

Jacob K.
07-20-2004, 04:31 PM
if anyone wants me to do collection for them, just let me know, i will be glad to do some work.

jacob

Bob Parsons
07-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Although the second batch had to be resent due to insuffient postage (makes wonder why the first batch with same postage made it) I've sent in all three months.

SaltyBoy
07-20-2004, 05:44 PM
i lost the scales, shaun.

uncle4
07-21-2004, 06:11 AM
now that Kristen's back from Mommy-leave, I was planning on
heading to Gloucester for lunch, a hand delivery and a test
ride in a Gloucester 20.

Although if I get 2 fish this weekend it'll complete my July sample
and I'll have collected the whole set.

Uncle 4