PDA

View Full Version : Shark Week Primal Scream

PeterSorensen
07-25-2004, 08:03 PM
On discovery Channel now!

ruge13
07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Do you mean "Shock Value Week"? The week the Discovery channel Sells out to promote movies?

You would think the discovery channel would know better. They are talking about Galapagos sharks, and dub in flashing pics of Whites. Just to fire people up. You would think a chanell that spends so much time "educating" people about animals would have a little more tact with Sharks. All about the shock value. They did the same crap last year. Do they dub in pictures of snakes drowing deer when talking about anacondas? No, they talk about how they are hunted and near extinction. Do they do it with Tigers? Nope...them mention the atacks, but thats it, the rest is on conservation and actually educational. I stopped watching about half way through.

DbleHaul
07-26-2004, 01:33 PM
While I agree that some of the first program last night was edited for shock value, if anyone bothered to watch the next show about the tiger shark attacks in Hawaii during the early 1990s they got a pretty good synopsis of what can happen when humans act on emotion rather than sound judgement.

After a particularly gruesome attack on a swimmer, a task force was thrown together to pacify the public outcry. The solution? An indescriminate culling of all tiger sharks over 8 feet in length, assuming that the attacks were the result of one rogue shark. I don't need to tell you how faulty this logic was, but at the time the understanding of shark behavior, their daily migration patterns, and their roles in the ecosystem was quite poor.

Long story short: after a few years of culling, the attacks didn't really go away, so some scientists were called in to analyze the situation. They proved the rogue shark theory to be BS, and the indiscriminate culling stopped.

I thought that it was a good summary of how our views of these great animals has matured. They are now seen as important parts of our oceans, and the intellectual growth from just 10 or 15 years ago is impressive.

So some of it is worth watching....... ;)

ruge13
07-26-2004, 01:34 PM
No I didn't catch that...sorry I missed it. Thanks