PDA

View Full Version : Classic Saltwater #14- Frankee-Belle Bonefish Fly

striblue
07-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Originated by Frankee Albright and Belle Mathews. Frankee Guided George L.M. LaBranche ,and who used this successfully season after season. Here is where conflicting research enters.. One reliable sorce shows this fly as tied the traditional way with the hook down and not inverted...Since the Horror is considered as the first inverted fly this fly must have come after the Horror. It could have come before and then changed after the introduction of the Horror..I can't tell from the current info I have....Most research sorces show this fly as tied with the hook inverted.

Jim Royston
07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm sure that the fly was tied hook point down originally and it is shown that way in Joe Brooks' Saltwater Gamefishing, 1968.

striblue
07-26-2004, 09:14 PM
Here's some further info I have in my notes...."As told to Joe Branham from Lefty Kreh - The Frankee/Belle fly was developed several years before the Horror by Pete Perinchief (who passed away last year). It was NOT tied inverted...Pete's fly was the first one to be bonefish fly tied inverted. Also, the smallest hook used to tie the original Frankee/Belle was a size 1. Pete began tying the Horror on a size 2 and 4--one of the first attempts at using smaller flies for bones."

stevec
07-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I read the great story behind that fly.
Frankee was an great chick!
Not many woman like that anymore