PDA

View Full Version : Striper recipes

surf master
08-02-2004, 02:07 PM
What is eveyones favorite striper recipe? I love to cook and i'm always looking for new and improved recipes.

Skunk Buster
08-02-2004, 02:19 PM
One issue I have with striper is that it tends to be pretty wet, even when cooked through. Baking or the old "tin foil" method always has yielded a somewhat soggy result. I tried a very simple grilling method a few weeks ago, which in the past I've reserved for bluefish, that turned out great:

Steak the fish or use the thick part of the filet. Marinate in lemon juice for a short time 15 minutes at most. Then coat the fish in a good olive oil. Lastly, dredge in salt, pepper, and a liberal amount of old bay seasoning. Lay the fish on a hot grill, cooking about 4 minutes per side. The grill should be super hot, charcoal or real wood is best. What you'll get is basically blackened, and the flesh will be meaty, almost like tuna or swordfish.

LeonR
08-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Make some fish Tacos, fry fish in pan with spices, very little fat almost blackened.
Then just use on tacos instead of beef. With salsa and Guacamole
Thats how I like it best not being a big fish eater.
PS I do the same with Bluefish.

e-sea-e
08-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I love seafood, but not a big fan of striper, so most of mine go back in the sea. I have found that striper is an excellent fish for fish stew/chowder, as it holds together well and looses most of the gameyness it often has.

Phreak
08-02-2004, 02:50 PM
I never liked striper all that much until I tried the following:

Marinate striper for 2 hours in the following:

3 Cups Orange Juice
1 Cup Light Soy sauce
3 Garlic cloves minced
1/2 Cup Onion minced
2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh ginger
Pat dry, and prepare how you want

This takes all the "fishiness" as my wife would say out of the fish. You can sautee or grill from there, but the best is to dredge in flour, put it in an egg wash, and coat it with Panko breadcrumbs and fry. Yummmmm.

Add in something like a wasabi cream sauce, and you've got a restaurant quality meal.

Unfortunately, this marinade has resulted in many more fish kept be me.

tmillerzzz
08-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Marinate fillet in soy for about 20 minutes
Rub with sesame oil, salt and pepper
Coat grill with Olive oil to prevent sticking
Brush with Wasabi/ginger finishing sauce
Cook skin side down on high until 2/3s cooked through
turn and cook until done.

Serve portions on a bed of Jasmine rice.

TASTY

teflon_jones
08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
my favorite striper (and bluefish, mackerel, any any other fish!) recipe is this:

mix one part mayo with one part dijon mustard and add fresh ground black pepper to taste
smear mixture on one side of fish liberally
place fish on tin foil on broiler pan and broil for 12 minutes or until mayo mixture gets slightly browned
let cool for 5 minutes and eat!

or, on the grill, do the same thing, but just put the fish on the grill with the mayo side up (no foil) and close the cover. grill for 10 minutes or until done.

Bob Parsons
08-02-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm surprised at the referrals to stripers being gamey/fishy, bluefish yes but not stripers, If you have to keep a fish or are planning to keep one, Bleed it and then chill it. This will give you a better quality fish. This should be done for any fish you plan on eating.

surf master
08-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm very surprised that people think that striper is a gamey fish. Regardless if you bleed them or not, i dont think that they are gamey. Not to argue what bob said because i always bleed and chill my fish as soon as possible but if you dont bleed them and just chill them i dont think it makes a big difference in the taste.

averagejoe
08-03-2004, 08:59 AM
I think striper is the least gamey fish you can can catch- I use olive oil and a nantucket rub on the fish-can't beat it