PDA

View Full Version : advice for Lures for SBFTs around gloucester

e-sea-e
08-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey guys:

Me and a buddy will heading out saturday am for sbfts offshore of gloucester. Wondering what everyone has been using or would reccomend.

My current plan is to use yozuri hydo-foil mackeral colored poppers and simillar shallow running plugs.

Any other suggestions?

Would anyone reccomend altering them w/ heavy hooks/eye rings?

Thanks for the help, I get the feeling this is a question on alot of people's minds given the recent posts.

e-sea-e

FireFly
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Hey guys:

Me and a buddy will heading out saturday am for sbfts offshore of gloucester. Wondering what everyone has been using or would reccomend.

My current plan is to use yozuri hydo-foil mackeral colored poppers and simillar shallow running plugs.

Any other suggestions?

Would anyone reccomend altering them w/ heavy hooks/eye rings?

Thanks for the help, I get the feeling this is a question on alot of people's minds given the recent posts.

e-sea-e

Sounds like a great selection- throw in a few crippled herring as well. I would change out the hooks and rings to heavy duty. You'll have serious equipment failure if you don't. Make sure you get a permit as well.

Good luck!

Slappy
08-05-2004, 10:30 AM
West coast tuna selection:
tuna clones or similar trolling feather. (these allow you to troll faster and cover more water.
Rapalas.

Poppers aren't used much on the left coast, generally less effective. I don't know if that is true here.

For throwing on the fish:
Salas 6X JR with a single hook--this is a real tuna jig, no need to modify anything.
These are great for dropping below the fish and cranking up through them.

e-sea-e
08-05-2004, 10:36 AM
slappy, do they have any of those jigs over at arlington bait and tackle or anywhere else near us in the sommerville/arlington area?

Also, I checked out putnamville resivoir for you last week, its still got a high water level if you want some good largemouth fishing.

E-sea-e

e-sea-e
08-05-2004, 10:37 AM
oh yeah, I already got the permit guys. Thanks for the help

Slappy
08-05-2004, 10:45 AM
West coast tuna jigs:
You have to get them on line. If you do, pick up a Tady 45. This is a great jig to toss on breaking stripers and I have never seen them around here.

The other hot west coast jig is the swim bait. Just use the same one you would to mimic the bait they are feeding on (maybe a 7" Fin-s). Either toss them at the breaking fish or drop one back as soon as you get a jig strike. Toss it back, put the rod in the holder and crank in the trolling lines. It will sink a bit and often gets bit on the sink or when you retrieve it after clearing lines. Double hookup!