PDA

View Full Version : Rell Drag Help

Sean Juan
08-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi,

I'm not very mechanically inclined. Recently I noticed a problem with my Lamson Litespeed reel's drag. It works in reverse. Adjusting the drag has no affect when you pull line off the reel, but a noticeable affect when you reel it back in. I've only done light maintaince to the reel - I rinse it and oil it.

Any idea what I messed up, or how I can fix it?

FireFly
08-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Do you have your line on backwards or the reel on the rod backwards???

Pauper Piscator
08-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Most new reels come set up to reel right handed. Usually there is a little do-dad (technical term) or two inside that need to be alligned for left handed retrieval. Good news is that this is usually pretty easy and requires no or simple tools.

There is often an illustration of this in your reels "instruction book."

Good luck.

Sean Juan
08-17-2004, 03:28 PM
I thought about that...

But its not a new reel - its probably four or five years old.

Hmmm....I wonder if I did put the line on backwards...that would be pretty stupid...but not close to being the stupidest thing I've done...today.

FireFly
08-17-2004, 06:18 PM
If you put the line on backwards then you can tell by switching the reel to the other side of the rod (lefty or righty) and then try it out. If it works fine on the other side then you'll have to take all the line off, switch the reel to the proper side, adjust the clicker like described above and then re-spool it.

I am pretty sure this will take care of your problem but I'm sure others will chime in if I am wrong...

Wes
08-17-2004, 10:12 PM
If you removed the cap on the center cylinder since you last used it you could have reversed the clutch inadvertently. Easy fix but check that line is on correctly first. Pull the spool off and unscrew the cap. The clutch is right under it and should fall right out. Put it in upside down this time, make sure the notches are engaged right, and reinstall the cap. You can stick a pen in the clutch and turn it before you screw down the cap to make sure it's working the way you want.

Good luck with it, I'm loving mine.

Sean Juan
08-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks Wes.

Thats what it was...I just turned that piece upside down and it works like a charm now.

Thanks for all the help gang.

Sean