PDA

View Full Version : canal exercise in futility report***

BobG
08-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Just to prove a point, I hooked up with Bill D last night to show him how thousands of bass (of all sizes) can break all night, and not be caught. (#$119)
The bass were chasing some sort of invisible, mystery bait (though we suspect herring fry). They were breaking when we arrived, they never stopped breaking the entire time we were there, and they were breaking like the hammers of hell when we left. :confused: All offers were summarily refused. Bill took the only bass, on the first cast no less. However, I suspect his lure landed directly in the bass's mouth as it broke the surface to eat some herring fry. ;)

rel
08-23-2004, 10:37 AM
BobG- Those bass may have been feeding on 1"-2" menhaden. I was fishing the South Dartmouth area and it is loaded with these small menhaden and the bluefish are having a field day, not many bass though. Ron

JimK
08-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Did you use any fly or small rubber teasers?

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago in another location far away from the canal. The fish were there and not taking anything. I put a 3" sluggo teaser on for the ride with my swimming plug and were getting hits. The only problem was the darn hook I had on the sluggo was so small I wasn't landing anything. At least I had a few fish on.

Ya see any False albacore in the canal yet?

Slappy
08-23-2004, 12:45 PM
This seems to happen about this time every year. My solution has been to toss a small fly behind a float. Drift and splash with the float and they eat the fly. It can be tough watching your friends gets skunked while you are hanging them almost every cast! ;)

bdowning
08-23-2004, 02:05 PM
That actually was my next strategy: first a fly teaser, then a fly on a float. Had to leave early, otherwise I would have tried one or the other. Next time. A few decent sized fish breaking in the mix too, it's not all smalls.

Bob's threatening to try a secret weapon (WMD?) next time out ;) .

-bd

This seems to happen about this time every year. My solution has been to toss a small fly behind a float. Drift and splash with the float and they eat the fly. It can be tough watching your friends gets skunked while you are hanging them almost every cast! ;)

BobG
08-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Maybe they were feeding on rocks.... (#$119)

Slappy
08-23-2004, 04:05 PM
bd
try it the other way around--try the float first! A cast a bubble is about 2 oz. The splasher and feather is a confidence lure for me because I use it alot. Admittedly it gets tougher when the blues eat the float! I found the stripers prefer an exceptionally slow retrieve (drift) while the tunoids eat it on the fast crank.

bdowning
08-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Well I'll teach those blues to eat floats, I'll toss out a tea strainer! Send 'em to the dentist! :brow

-bd

pclaus01
08-23-2004, 08:49 PM
I hate giving away this secret, but I owe it ten times over to everyone else who posts. When the bait is small menhaden or something of a similar shape, I've had consistent success (in the east end of the canal and in Buzzard's Bay and elsewhere) using what the freshwater striper fisherman down south refer to as a slab spoon. Instead of the thin profile metals like deadly dicks, these are flat and at least 1/2 as wide as they are long. They flutter when they fall, and they're a dead-on imitation of a dying baby bunker or herring - especially when fished where the water is upwelling/boiling.

Bomber makes them - do an internet search on 'bomber slab spoon'. I use a version that's made by a guy down in Texas. I suggest white. If anyone's seen a locally made lure similar to this, I'd like to hear about where to find it.

And like slappy, I often use a teaser - usually above the lure to avoid affecting its action.

KBFLY
08-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Bob G I fished sunday morning 6-10 Fish so thick you could walk on them. Fish location was in front of Maritime ship started with closer on 350 gram line got no hits .tried 7 differant flys over an hour, nothin . Changed to floating line & crease fly cast into fish & deaddrift it sometimes 1 twitch started getting hookups consistantly Seems the fish only reacted to flys on top .size & color didn't seem to matter Just movement on top

marlinslayer
08-23-2004, 09:06 PM
pclaus,
checked out the lure(slab spoon) and it looks good. i've never seen it before around these parts. i wonder how it would work for our fall visitors(aka: albies, spanny mac's , and bones)? if they work as you say and as advertised , they would be great to throw out in front of a fast moving school. ever tried them for those fishies, hmmmm ?

pclaus01
08-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Since I've been shorebound until this year and mainly fishing out of Sandwich/Plymouth, I haven't tried the slabs (or anything else) for the exotics. I'm planning on a trip to the Vineyard this weekend so I'm hoping to find out. I usually fish a 2 oz size for stripers from shore, but I think the small 7/8 oz size might work better for the bones/albies.

I've found that they fish well fast & high in the water column as well as letting them drop. (I've even trolled them). But their real advantage is on the drop, because they fall a lot slower and have a different action than the narrow-profile metals.

marlinslayer
08-23-2004, 09:23 PM
well , thanks for the tip and i think the 7/8 oz might be worth a try. i'll let you know how they worked out . gonna order a couple to will hopefully have a good report back to you on thit's results . thanks again for giving up a secret....
Dennis