PDA

View Full Version : Camping/Fishing Trip

El Bishop
09-13-2004, 07:58 PM
I want to take my girlfriend, who's newly interested in trout fishing on a two day camping/fishing trip somewhere in New England. I was thinking perhaps the Battenkill, although I've never been. Anyone have any other suggestions or know of a good place to camp? Thanks.

CharlieP
09-13-2004, 08:17 PM
i haven't fished the batter kill in vt in about 8 years. it is a pretty spot, but the fish are skittish. have you eer thought about pittsburg, nh? it is about 3.5 hours nirth of boston and beautiful.

teflon_jones
09-13-2004, 09:22 PM
the deerkill has a bunch of places to camp along it, including state parks. plus, much of the river is easily wadeable, even for a novice. even if it's overfished, it's still a favorite of mine! :)

gilly09
09-13-2004, 10:18 PM
If you're will to fish the battenkill, take the time to drive to the West Branch of the Penobscot River. Pray's Big Eddy Campground is located right on the "big eddie" world class salmon fishery, foliage, wildlife.

check the regs. time may be running out. --127-3-

dudley
09-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Two state park campgrounds in Conn. that you might like are American Legion S.F. on the Farmington and Housatonic Meadows S.P. on the Housy. Both can fill up on the weekends even this time of year so get there early.
Another spot I really like is the White River Campground in Gaysville, Vt. The White fishes better in the spring but central Vt. is a real pretty place to be this time of year. The campground is quiet, you can get a river front site, there won't be anyone else on the water, and you will catch a few fish.

maineguideman
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM
I second the West branch of the Peneobscott Its my most favorite place to freshwater fish. the season closes the end of Sept. The campground is now Owned By Chewonki Corp. The purchased it from peter & Bunny Pray. you can find them with any search engine just type in Chewonki.
I went in early june and caut 32 salmon in 6 days many were over 18 inches this time of year youll be all but alone there is killer rafting and Baxter state park is very close.
If you need any other info email me at tidewaterfishing@hotmail.com

fishinimpossible
09-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I second the idea for Pittsburg, NH. The trout streams are open until 10/15. There is awesome pond/lake fishing for trout/salmon and the Connecticut River (just a stream up there) is blue ribbon. Bring or rent a canoe to hit the ponds. There are plenty of spots to camp, too.

ChuckD
09-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Is a good one to check out. Rapid River is world class brook trout and landlocked fishing. Magalloway R. can be great too. As for lakes and ponds there are hundreds in the area. I'm sure there are a ton of campgrounds-sorry I don't have more specifics.

ACE
09-15-2004, 11:28 AM
All of those suggestions are good, but you don't say where you are or how far you want to go. If you're in New Jersey a drive to Northern NH is far! Also, do you want to hike in or car camp?

dskins
09-15-2004, 01:34 PM
I would put in a vote for the Androscoggin in Errol, NH. You can camp at Mollidgewock State campgound on Rte 16 - the sites are right on the banks of the river on fishable water. 5 min up the road is the Fly-fishing only section below the Errol dam which is very wadeable and loaded with easily catchable rainbows & salmon in the 8-16" range with bigger fish down deep at the dam. Less than a hour up the road is the Conn. lakes region if you want a day trip to those waters. I returned 5 days ago from my annual(20yrs) fall trip up there and had no problem getting two first time fly fishers into lots of fish. If you would like any more info let me know.

Dave