PDA

View Full Version : Canal early am

TonyO
09-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Fished from 230-715 this morn.5 bass and 1 blue on eels before lite. Nothing over 34in.Lotsa breaking fish but they would not touch my plugs. Switched to metal and got 20-25 bass, mostly shorts, but a few that might have been legal.Did have 1 one that felt decent before I lost it. My arms are tired.

Hawkeye
09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Put in a couple hours this am around sagamore and did well on schoolies up to 32". Only one blue in the bunch. I had a grin on my face the whole time with hits on almost every cast and many hookups. I was using a jig-n-pig.

JimK
09-15-2004, 11:55 AM
How do you guys fish the canal at those times 2am to 6am? Are you loosing sleep? Are you retired? Do you live and work close so you can fish a couple hours in the morning and get to work on time?

Just curious. Keep the reports coming. They're very informative.

Hawkeye
09-15-2004, 12:05 PM
I live and work in Scituate and it is not too tough to get a couple hours in and get to work on time.

TonyO
09-15-2004, 12:09 PM
I don't sleep much when the fish are around. I'll catch up on sleep ina month and a half.

BobG
09-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I live real close. So, I fish until about 6:30am, go home, take a 2 hour nap, shower and head into work. :brow

bdowning
09-15-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm like Tony, except I don't sleep much when the fish are not around either! :eek:

-bd

ed tedesco
09-16-2004, 07:21 AM
you ditch rats are truly amazing!! I tend to do more fishing in my sleep :rolleyes: I am on vacation and will be down fishing -where are you usually in the ditch-i usually stick to the fly rod-never have much luck with the ugly stick-maybe one of you guys can give me some pointers-would sure like to use the spin gear feeling less like i was just killing time

Bob Parsons
09-16-2004, 09:23 AM
take a 2 hour nap, shower and head into work. http://www.reel-time.com/forum/images/smilies/brow.gif
When I do that my bed or couch smells like fish or seaweed.

Slappy
09-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Quote:
take a 2 hour nap, shower and head into work.

When I do that my bed or couch smells like fish or seaweed.

Next thing you know all your friends start making fun of you and calling you a "bait shop boy."

Bait had nothing to do with it--they were all caught on plastics!

anglin4bass
09-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Sleep?What sleep.I live 44 miles North of the Canal I'll get up around 01:00 drive to the Canal & fish till 05:30ish pending on activity,then drive 55 miles North to work in Boston by 07:00(who say's you gotta be concious @ work):brow
After work I'll then drive 30 miles SW to go home.
When I get home,hopefully I'll get my second wind & hang out w/ the wife and kids & do what ever I can to keep my eye's open!
If I get to bed early enough I'll do it again the next morning(#$119)

That commute is a circle of 130 miles,or another way to look at it is, (total drive time combined)2hrs & 10 min. I'll attempt this 2-3 times every other week.(tide issues)It's worth it's weight in Gold every min & every mile when the Fattys are hitting.

My Wife can't fully understand the addiction of fishing, or the self abuse of sleep depervation.There is one thing she like's,it's the bounty of of the Bass --127-3-

Retired?No. I have about thirty years to go, unless I hit the Lottery & then I get to fish all of the time :-%

Anglin

Thunder Rod
09-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I live about 10-minutes from the canal. But I need my sleep or I'm a zombie. So I'm still a weekender for the most part...or I go when on vacation, around holidays, planned days off, etc,. I can't possibly do those BDowning 36 hour marathons! The night stalking, blood sucking vampire that he is! --123-3

In and around a weekend or day off, I'll hit the sack early, say around 8-PM. Then get up around 1-AM, (and sometimes meet up with Bill who's already been fishing for 5-6 hours!) then I usually fish till sunrise, and then head back home thereafter. A quick wash up, and it's back in bed for a quick 2-hour nap to top it off. The wife never even misses me...

Collectively, that's still about 7 hours sleep...

JimK
09-17-2004, 11:26 AM
I live about 40 to 50 minutes from the canal depending on where I'm going. About 40min to Bourne bridge.

The best time that works for me is the evening to whenever I get tired. This is usually the 9pm to 12 or 1am. Drive the hour home and get into bed quick for 6am rise and drive to work.
If I do an early morning it's usually on the weekend. But I haven't done one in awhile because I have so much yard work, painting and other chores on the weekend that require a good amount of energy. I can't be zombied for those tasks.

I give you guy's a lot of credit that can drive all that way and loose sleep. My wife and others don't understand the attraction. Heck they don't even think you can catch fish in the dark. And why would anyone drive more than 5 minutes to fish. At least she lets me go whenever.

Good chance I will try the canal this weekend. I'll post if I do.

anglin4bass
09-17-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm truly addicted to this sport,I can't get enough of it....My wife thinks IM nut's gettin up that early on a weekday to fish then drive to work.
Plus another way to look at it is,at those hours(weekday) there's hardly anybody there so you pretty much have free rain of the place--127-3- .

I normaly don't fish the Canal on the weekends but I'm going to break tradition & go Saturday morning,It's gonna rain hard over night & into the morning so that might hamper some of the crowds. --123-3
I'll post in the Am

Slappy
09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
"I'm truly addicted to this sport,I can't get enough of it....My wife thinks I'm nuts"

I think most of our spouses feel that way.

From a recent PM:

Are you going at 2?
Yes, I will get up around 1 and go.

sleep is optional or
I'll sleep when I'm dead!

anglin4bass
09-17-2004, 03:38 PM
"I'm truly addicted to this sport,I can't get enough of it....My wife thinks I'm nuts"

I think most of our spouses feel that way.

From a recent PM:

Are you going at 2?
Yes, I will get up around 1 and go.

sleep is optional or
I'll sleep when I'm dead!

What works for me is,I get up a 1/2 hr. before I go to sleep.