PDA

View Full Version : hows the fall run?

striper man
10-18-2004, 04:17 AM
how has the fall run been shaping up for you guys?. for me it was ok not that much bait this year beacause of the cool summer just big bait balls. tropical storms riping up the seas every week i here some reports of big fish still up in maine i hope they stop by the cape. the water temp is realy warm for this time of year. all and all just a realy wierd year the damn boat guys had a banner season. but theres allways next year --125-3 theres not good seasons with out bad seasons

albacized
10-18-2004, 06:34 AM
how has the fall run been shaping up for you guys?. for me it was ok not that much bait this year beacause of the cool summer just big bait balls. tropical storms riping up the seas every week i here some reports of big fish still up in maine i hope they stop by the cape. the water temp is realy warm for this time of year. all and all just a realy wierd year the damn boat guys had a banner season. but theres allways next year --125-3 theres not good seasons with out bad seasons

i'm not too sure that the bass and blues are in their full fall run mode just yet. saturday and yesterday, left me with the impression that the fish are still around but not with the feed bag on just yet. there are tons of peanuts and juvie herring at several cape and canal spots that i visited. last night in the canal, there were alot of stripers splashing in some rips near where i was fishing. however, no one could crack the code as far as getting them to eat what we were throwing. as far as false albacore, there hasn't been a big cold snap that would hasten their departure. however, with the water temps dropping slowly, i've noticed that while they are still around, they are trickling away slowly but surely. i only saw two schools of albies and one caught this entire weekend in a place that had been previously loaded. i hear rumours that bonito could fill in again once these alberts depart. however, i've never personally experienced this in years past. someone told me that bonito are still red hot out at monomoy. i'm a little sketchy on whether i believe the source i got that info from. however, i don't know where they'd go after they depart from there: whether they would swing by the upper cape/canal or just head south is anyone's guess as far as i'm concerned. in conclusion, don't hang the rod up just yet.
rich n

Albiemanmike
10-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I agree with you Albacized, not fully convinced that the big push has even happened yet. It almost seems that the fish are in a "Start/Stop" kind of mode. When we get a little cold air they seem to feed like it is fall and then the weather turns warmer and they turn off again. Funny you should mention the fish showing last night but difficult to figure them out. I had the same observation down here in CT. last night. I was fishing a local estuary and there were fish consistently popping and slurping the whole time but I could not crack the code. I did not have the flyrod with me and I think that might have been the holy grail as the fish seemed to be on very small silversides and bunker, and the fact they were smacking the bait right in the surface film made it clear that something very small and floating might have worked well. I also agree with the Bonito statement, I have always heard this rumor that they will show up after the Albies leave but in many years I have never seen this occur. Usually once they vamoose they are gone till next year and I think these late reports might be people seeing Albies and just using the wrong name to describe what they saw. Alot of people still use the Bonito term to describe both fish. I think that November might see some very good action if the weather doesn't blow everything to hell, we are looking at another week of blowing winds out of the north again and this does not bode well for shore fishing or boat. And this is sure to blow more bait offshore. Time will tell.

Mike M.

ruge13
10-18-2004, 11:22 AM
I'm more and more convinced each year at least in CCB there are two sets of migrating fish....the ones that go all the way back to Maryland and off the Carolinas leave first and arrive last, and the group that comes back down from up north and migrates back towards the Hudson.
Just curious (not being facetious, genuinely interested), what makes you more and more convinced of this?

JimK
10-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Stinky for me and a few other people I know who fish from shore from the outer cape to Napatree.