PDA

View Full Version : February Flies for Florida

SamRiley
11-23-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm heading to Orlando for the last week of February and need to start tying some flies. My fishing will be limited to shore and kayak accessible species. This will be my first time fishing south of NC and I have no clue what to tie up other than spoon flies. Any photos or instructions you guys have for your go-to flies would be greatly appreciated by this Florida newbie.

Many thanks :)
Sam

Snuffy
11-23-2004, 02:09 PM
For the Salt I would recommend Clousers in varying Colors and weights. Bring some deceivers for staying above the grass, and some crabs for the tailing reds. Good luck and I wish I was back home in Melbourne to fish with ya.

SamRiley
11-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Snuffy. Have you ever tried the Kwan Fly? A friend said that it was almost a sure thing for him.

http://www2.worldpub.net/images/16_103_20171.jpg

Armando
11-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Sam
Here's a pair of flies I love for inshore.
Try them

Snuffy
11-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I've never tried the Kwan. It looks like it would be useful down here with this muddy/silty water. Good water/fly color contrast. How is the action??

SamRiley
11-29-2004, 02:23 PM
How is the action??
No clue. Have yet to see it, let alone tie or fish it. I'd really appreciate seeing some more photos of flies that work.

Thanks for your posts Armando and Snuffy :)

ChuckD2112
11-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Snuffy's got it right with fly selection. the Kwan works exellant on tailing reds.
I would also try a copper colored Liz with a rattle in it. it's basically a bendback with a copper or brown marabou wing, gold flash, red or pink tail, and a rattle enclosed in mylar for a body.

There are plenty of places to fish out of a Kayak around here for redfish black drum and seatrout