PDA

View Full Version : Eleuthera in Mid-December

jfairclough
11-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Hello All,

New to this forum, but I've been reading posts on Reel Time from different fly fishing web searches I've done for a long time. I'm writing because I'm going to Eleuthera December 11 - 19 of this year. I was supposed to be going on a cruise to propose to my girlfriend, but we had to reschedule for early '05. However, I need a vacation and since I'm using miles to fly, I'm just going to go to Eleuthera and spend the whole time there fly fishing.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some heads up from any of you who have been to Eleuthera during this time of year. I've read all I can find on the web and I'm really looking forward to some quiet, DIY time alone on the island. I've been looking at a couple of inflatable kayaks and I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy and bring one along.

My bonefishing experience is limited to Christmas Island, but I flyfish for carp religiously and have found that bonefishing is almost identical.

I am a very respectful fisherman and don't want to expose anyone's secret spots, but if you have a tidbit or two to share, I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel free to write me at jakef@commercecrg.com Tight lines all!

mctrout
11-23-2004, 06:10 PM
Kayak won't really be very helpful there in my opinion. Not sure about the weather then, either.
Try Savanna Sound, Ten Bay, Double Bay, Harbor Island (man Island, dump flat, outer sound,etc)
good luck
Brendan

jfairclough
11-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks Brendan. I'm surprised in your reply however. Henry, one of the posters on this website, claimed that kayaks were part of the reason he has such success on Eleuthera. But thanks for the sites you recommended!!!

Jake

Henry
11-24-2004, 08:52 AM
If you email me, I can help you out. And "Yes" a kayak or any type of boat will put you onto more bones. Write soon as I'm off to the Yucatan Saturday for 2 weeks.

Henry

mctrout
11-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Except for Harbor Island, I just can't see it but if Henry has done it, listen to him. I am not very familair with those craft as see them as a pain in the butt, but obviously I am in the vast minority. certainly great to get across channels, I juts can't remember any that I was joneing to cross there to gedt to a flat.
I sure do remember some near Boca Paila that that would have been real handy, have you used them in the park, Henry? do they hassle you?
Good luck yall
B

Henry
11-24-2004, 12:00 PM
No, we didn't try the kayak yet in Mexico and don't really intend to although as you pointed out it would be a definite advantage. We're just too worried about getting hassled by the corrupt cops and military there. $1,800.00 bucks worth of boat and at least twice that worth in tackle is at risk down there. Starting this weekend, we'll be happy to just nail a few jacks and snook on the beach and wade the accessible flats by the bridge for a few hours to get the bone fever out of our systems.

On Eleuthera, there are more than a few areas that are innaccessible by DIY anglers on foot. Reach those spots and the bones go from being educated to downright stupid!!! I obviously wont reveal those spots here...let it stand that for those that do their homework...they will find the honeyholes.

Henry

jfairclough
11-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks Henry! I just sent you an email.

jfairclough
12-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Just got back from Eleuthera and it was great! Tough, spooky fish....just the way I like it. It was a blast and the water was beautiful.

Henry
12-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Thanks and glad you had a great trip... ;)

Nassau Frank
12-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Post for us all. Where, how etc...

wittich
12-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Did you catch any Bones?

jfairclough
12-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Yes, I caught 15 or so bones and lost 5. Had lots of shots and my biggest was in the 7 lb. range. It was dead calm the first 2 days, then windier than hell for 2 days. It was overcast and raining the last day, but I still managed 2 bones. Awesome island!