PDA

View Full Version : Pike????

albacized
11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
In my on going quest to extend the fishing season beyond the normal saltwater bounds that I typically do, I'm always looking for some different freshwater adventures to ease the pain of another season ending. This year, I had been going to Wachusetts for salmoniods and was rewarded with one landlocked (up the esturary) and one lake trout in three trips down there. I'll give that one more try before they close it for the year. However, I'm also interested in trying for a Pike or two. I've always read about these fish being a cooler water fish. However, it always seems to be more about spring or through the ice. Is this a good time to try for these fish? I live in Framingham and know that Cotituate (sp) and the Sudbury River have pike (although I'm not in any way against driving to a more productive spot). Any advise is welcomed. PS....I would prefer the fly rod. However, I'm not against 'cheating' and dropping a shiner on these guys. So far in my life, I've only caught a handfull of small pike that were basically the size of the pickeral that frequent the same areas. I'd like to change that.....

Slappy
11-24-2004, 01:45 PM
check your PM, a couple ideas. Very popular spots probably not heavily fished right now though.

Bob Parsons
11-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Chauncey and A1 (Mill pond) have pike. I not sure you could claim a strong concentration but serveral are pulled through the ice each winter.

These are located in Westboro.

albacized
11-24-2004, 03:57 PM
check your PM, a couple ideas. Very popular spots probably not heavily fished right now though.

I got your PM. Thanks. I do have a small cartop boat and may try those spots,
Rich

Jimi
11-24-2004, 04:41 PM
If your from Framingham, U should try The resevoir on 9 westbound. Below the dam in early spring the water flows pretty rough out of the discharge. Almost looks unfishable. In early March I catch loads of Pickerel in that extremely fast moving water. I know u asked about pike but some of these fish are almost as long as my arm and they fight hard. I have caght some larger ones that look more like pike, but im not sure.

Slamdance
11-24-2004, 08:06 PM
The Mass Wildlife Web site provides stocking info for where they have been stocking Pike and tiger muskie for the last decade.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpike.htm

jim pod
12-08-2004, 05:15 PM
I have found the BEST flies for pike have been bright orange , almost like a tarpon fly. When I lived in Boston I fished behind whats now the Chestnut hill mall in the little pond that had a resident goldfish population. 4-5" orange saddle hackle a little gold flash and a sharp hook with 6" wire and you couldn't go wrong . I still fish the orange 30 years later in Vermont -Lake Bomoseen and Otter Creek north of Rutland and the Charles River by the Riverside stop on the T. My son tied some brown on the top and would dead drift it in close to the rocks when we lived in Rockport and he would cream the bass . I guess they thought it was a small lobster. Pike can really take the edge off striper withdral before the ice sets in. Good luck
JIm

e-sea-e
01-18-2005, 02:22 PM
gotta agree with the "orange fly" post. a long time ago an old freshwater guy told me a secret: "Pike love ugly baits. the best is a green bodied spinnerbait with a bright orange blade."

he was right on. spent three years in vermont and crushed the pike every spring.

fleshfly
01-18-2005, 02:55 PM
There are Pike in Waltham, Some pretty big ones too, they eat anything. They aren't too bright, but are a lot of fun. Spinnerbaits were my favorite too, if the water is too cool, just after Ice out, a slow retireved single hook spoon works well too.

Shiners are too small, 6 inch perch work the best