PDA

View Full Version : Winter Stripers

jpkil318
12-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Hey Guys
I am going home to Providence RI from college and I am wondering if there are going to be any fishing oppertunities for me. Ill be there from mid December to the end of January. I would love to catch stripers and I have heard of people catching them in the power plant outfow but I have never tried it. If you could give me any locations and suggestions on techniques that would be great.
Thanks

rockfisherman
12-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey Guys
I am going home to Providence RI from college and I am wondering if there are going to be any fishing oppertunities for me. Ill be there from mid December to the end of January. I would love to catch stripers and I have heard of people catching them in the power plant outfow but I have never tried it. If you could give me any locations and suggestions on techniques that would be great.
Thanks
There are fish all winter in the power plant outflow. Fish after dark. Dress warmly...

mconnole
12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
From the Point Street Bridge, you have two sides of the Providence River to fish from. One side is the Narragansett Electric Co where the outflow is. On the other side there are 2 local bars, The Hot Club & The Fish Company. Behind these bars there are docks that are private but maybe you can sneak out on for a few casts. Next to the Hot Club there is a little memorial park right behind the gates to the hurricane barrier. I have caught fish there in late December. I haven't been in a while but I'm sure you will see other hearty souls so just ask them where the action is. I have heard but I haven't fished from the other side of the Point Street bridge, but I now the locals do very well there all year round.

Good luck.

mike kelly
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
also check out striper moon website, sounds like there is still some excellent fishing going on

MAKO13
12-09-2004, 04:34 PM
If both outflows are flowing the side of the river with the power plant (across the the river from the bars) is the best. You can get close enough to actually cast into the outflow as it leaves the plant then let your lure free spool out with the current before retriving. It is pretty close to a sure thing as long as that close outflow is pumping water... of course just my luck the last two winters it wasn't going on any trips I made :mad: so I make no garuntees

Don't forget to Layer up! {{{BRRR}}}

jpkil318
12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks this has been really helpful
I was jsut wondering what type of tackle spin or fly. If fly what types flies and line sinking or intermediate. Or Spin what types of lures. and is it better to fish during the day or at night
Thanks again

CelticCowboy
12-10-2004, 10:54 AM
i went there last new years day. we pulled a striper each 2 of usd, one was in seriously poor health.

Jed
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Wednesday I was in Norwich Ct on the Thames river. Two hook ups and one landed. Schoolies, but there are a few larger ones around. It is known as a good place for winter Stripers.

jed

mconnole
12-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I was a bit bored yesterday afternoon so I took a ride up to Providence to take a few casts at the power plant. It was a relatively nice day but I had no action from the power plant side. There was plenty of bird activity so I knew something was in there. I only stayed about 25 minutes. It was a short but fun filled trip. I was there between 4:00 - 4:30 PM with not a soul in sight.

Go figure!