PDA

View Full Version : Comments about Cozumel bonefishing trip

skeeterjeff
01-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Thought I would post some info about my recent trip to Cozumel: We stayed at El Cozumelleno Hotel (all inclusive) - it was very nice, food was okay and the staff were very accomidating. This resort is located on the North side of the island.

I fished with Alex for two days. He is an excellent guide, I highly reccomend him and will use him again. You have to understand that I am very new to fly fishing. I learned so much from Alex that I really feel like I could catch bones without a guide. He taught me about presentation, what fly to use in different situations, line management, and kept me in bonefish for two days. They were everywhere. I struggled when fishing from his boat some, but still had many chances. The second day, he took me to a flat that we waded and it was awsome. I could see big bones tailing the whole time. Usually 20 to 30 until I would get one on. It was a wonderful trip and I can't wait to get back.

Skeeterjeff

flyphoto
01-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Where were the flats in relation to the Hotel, if you don't mind. The wife and I visit the island often and we have stayed at the same hotel.

Thanks

skeeterjeff
02-01-2005, 07:17 AM
The area that we fished was anywhere from 30 minutes to 45 minutes boat ride to reach the flats. I do not know of any flats that you can drive to and fish.

The road to where the boats are kept is pretty rough and it takes 20 minutes or so from the Hotel Cozumelleno. The guide will pick you up at the hotel. Again, a guide will be necessary to get you to the flats in their boat. Good luck.

Skeeterjeff

flyphoto
02-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the info.

capt ed
02-01-2005, 08:19 PM
How would I get in contact with Alex?

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy
02-01-2005, 08:50 PM
if your speaking of this alex i too agree he is a formidable guide. he is son of famous cozumel guide. he is nice, effective and mild mannered. he put freshg shrimp on my girlfriends spin rod and she had non stop action while alex and i pursued the 2-3 lb bones of cozumel. dont be afraid to get in his old brown van when he pulls up. i ditto the recommendation. he can be found on line and can book directly with him rather than pay the middle man.

skeeterjeff
02-02-2005, 06:47 AM
How would I get in contact with Alex?

http://www.cozumel.net/fun/fly-fishing/

RogerStg
02-02-2005, 07:34 AM
if your speaking of this alex i too agree he is a formidable guide. he is son of famous cozumel guide.

Actually, he is Nacho's brother, though I understand that Nacho has a son or two in the business now.