View Full Version : Small Tarpon Flies

01-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Okay guys, so I will have my new 8wt for my Marco Island trip, what should I tye up? Poppers? I'd love to catch or just hook a tarpon, even a 10 pounder would make my trip, any other ideas, will be fishing from shore.. Anyone know if there are any jetties to fish from on Marco?

Thanks in advance.

01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
small decievers, in marco i have used black or purple ones... and i've caught them on little shrimp patterns... yellowish, biege-ish... it really depends on what the water looks like and what they're eating. in creeks there, i have caught them swinging shrimp patterns on the fall. if there are a bunch there, you'll see them rolling when the water is moving hard. just cast above them and let the fly swing down--DON'T strip it. usually, if i strip it, they don't eat. not big fish, 10-50#, a lot of fun. intermediate line... you're early to be seeing them in numbers, but you never know. good luck.

01-20-2005, 03:32 PM

Go directly to Tom Rowland's site, Big Blue and get recipe for Tom's Frog Lips in his tarpon article. It is a gurgler variant that I have SLAYED baby tarpon with. I tie them with the Varivas hook and have put that hook completely thru the jaw of a lot of tarpon (point being it is , dare I say wicked, sharp). If they are ignoring all else they seem to still eat this thing and if they are on the feed, hang on......

BTW - The Roland article is something to do with rare events while tarpon fishing or something like that.

Don't forget to get out there at night sometime too

01-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, Danny, are there many small creeks open for the public on Marco?

01-20-2005, 05:43 PM
hey mike.. again, sorry... i know marco from a skiff... so i couldn't tell you. i do have a client there that i've fished and i can ask him. when do you leave?

01-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I'll be down there from the 17th until the 24th of February, i'd love to get a guide, but that aint' gunna' happen.

01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
i'll email him and let you know what he says.

Chaser Key west
01-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Try a 2 inch bunny strip with a mylar head, a little lead wrap (optional) under the
mylar on 1/0. I use white or cream bunny
Easy to throw together a few and killer on Keys babies.

have fun mike