PDA

View Full Version : Small Tarpon Flies

capemike88
01-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Okay guys, so I will have my new 8wt for my Marco Island trip, what should I tye up? Poppers? I'd love to catch or just hook a tarpon, even a 10 pounder would make my trip, any other ideas, will be fishing from shore.. Anyone know if there are any jetties to fish from on Marco?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

danny
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
small decievers, in marco i have used black or purple ones... and i've caught them on little shrimp patterns... yellowish, biege-ish... it really depends on what the water looks like and what they're eating. in creeks there, i have caught them swinging shrimp patterns on the fall. if there are a bunch there, you'll see them rolling when the water is moving hard. just cast above them and let the fly swing down--DON'T strip it. usually, if i strip it, they don't eat. not big fish, 10-50#, a lot of fun. intermediate line... you're early to be seeing them in numbers, but you never know. good luck.

LandlockedinMI
01-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Capemike:

Go directly to Tom Rowland's site, Big Blue and get recipe for Tom's Frog Lips in his tarpon article. It is a gurgler variant that I have SLAYED baby tarpon with. I tie them with the Varivas hook and have put that hook completely thru the jaw of a lot of tarpon (point being it is , dare I say wicked, sharp). If they are ignoring all else they seem to still eat this thing and if they are on the feed, hang on......

BTW - The Roland article is something to do with rare events while tarpon fishing or something like that.

Don't forget to get out there at night sometime too

capemike88
01-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, Danny, are there many small creeks open for the public on Marco?

Mike

danny
01-20-2005, 05:43 PM
hey mike.. again, sorry... i know marco from a skiff... so i couldn't tell you. i do have a client there that i've fished and i can ask him. when do you leave?

capemike88
01-20-2005, 05:50 PM
I'll be down there from the 17th until the 24th of February, i'd love to get a guide, but that aint' gunna' happen.

Thanks,

Mike

danny
01-20-2005, 10:12 PM
i'll email him and let you know what he says.

Chaser Key west
01-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Try a 2 inch bunny strip with a mylar head, a little lead wrap (optional) under the
mylar on 1/0. I use white or cream bunny
Easy to throw together a few and killer on Keys babies.

have fun mike